Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question, What is this British medal?

Article about: And why was it issued? I am not a metal collector so have no idea. The name and serial number has been I'd to, Gunner 249394 J Miller who was killed in action on 24/09/1918, while serving wi

?

Default Question, What is this British medal?

And why was it issued? I am not a metal collector so have no idea.

The name and serial number has been I'd to, Gunner 249394 J Miller who was killed in action on 24/09/1918, while serving with "A" Battery-298th Brigade.

This group of metals came with a MkVI Webley I purchased. Some of the insignia and buttons date post war so they do not match the gun.
    I was only interested in the gun and and I don't know/collect metals so I plan to sell them to help lessen the cost of what I paid for the gun. Could someone give me some kind of a idea of what they are worth and what should I ask for them. I'm not out for a killing, just some help in reducing the cost of what I paid for the gun, thanks, Ray

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Webley 455-14.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	489889Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Webley 455-13.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	489890Name:  Webley 455-12.JPG
Views: 328
Size:  17.1 KBName:  Webley 455-11.JPG
Views: 352
Size:  18.6 KBName:  Webley 455-10.JPG
Views: 334
Size:  17.8 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Webley455-16.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	489894

Default re: Question, What is this British medal?

Hello, Ray!

What you have there is a British War Medal, issued to servicemen who served between the 5th of August 1914 to the 11th of November 1918!

I really like these and have one that belonged to my Great-Grandfather. I'm not really 'in the loop' with regards to market value, but someone should be along shortly who has a better idea.

Hope this helps,
    Josh

Josh

The WWI war medal is worth about $30, maybe a bit more as he was KIA, the cap badge is hard to date, circa $7-10, the buttons circa half a buck to a buck each, the metal RA shoulder title, a few bucks, the printed cloth title which is WWII is circa 5-7 bucks.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    The WWI war medal is worth about $30, maybe a bit more as he was KIA, the cap badge is hard to date, circa $7-10, the buttons circa half a buck to a buck each, the metal RA shoulder title, a few bucks, the printed cloth title which is WWII is circa 5-7 bucks.
    Thanks Josh and Jerry, Ray

I've seen the WWI British War Service Medals sell alright by me...I've seen individuals sell anywhere between $20-30

why not post it in the classifieds maybe someone will scoop it up i know i would

Quote by crites1234 View Post
    why not post it in the classifieds maybe someone will scoop it up i know i would
    I second this whole-heartedly

RayG

The medal is gorgeous, keep it! If you can I bought one last year with some other items. The feeling, look, and quality is second to none....It's in my collection forever!

Mark
    Last edited by Greenhorn; 03-26-2013 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Usual typo

?

Thanks everyone. Mark it is a nice metal but I'm not into collecting metals and I would like to sell it. Can someone give me an idea of what would be a good price to put on the metal and the rest of the items to sell as a group. I paid $650 for the original unmodified .455 revolver with the metals and the any money I make in selling the grouping would help reduce the price I paid for the gun which would be nice. Thanks, Ray

John Miller was born in Saltcoats, Ayrshire and enlisted in Birmingham. He was a signaller with the Royal Field Artillery when he died of wounds on 24/9/18.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast