Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

R. Levi Medal Grouping

Article about: I bought this medal grouping a few years ago from the mans daughter and her sister(they live in San Diego now). He was with the South West Transvaal Rifles during the Great War and according

Default R. Levi Medal Grouping

I bought this medal grouping a few years ago from the mans daughter and her sister(they live in San Diego now). He was with the South West Transvaal Rifles during the Great War and according to the daughter was the sole survivor of the Regiment.

He later served in WWII as well and has the medal for that as well. The medal bar was put together by his wife which is why it isn't quite up to standard. The diary is very cool as he describes his units search for German troops in the Veldt.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture R. Levi Medal Grouping   R. Levi Medal Grouping  

R. Levi Medal Grouping   R. Levi Medal Grouping  

R. Levi Medal Grouping  

Default Re: R. Levi Medal Grouping

Hi Gary, that is a super little group. We don't see much SA stuff here. Even though the medal bar is not proffessional, I still like it as it tells a story.

Cheers, Ade.

Really beautiful group, especially with badges, photos and documentation.

The odd ribbon with the bar (green, orange, red) is for the Africa Service Medal which he didn't have...it was for regular WWII service. The medal with the (unwatered) red, white and blue ribbon is the "South African Medal for War Service", for voluntary service during WWII, and was supposed to be awarded only to those who didn't get the Afriica Service Medal....it was either/or but not both. But I have seen legit exceptions. The rule wasn't always followed.

I'm sure you know not to use steel wool on medals (or clean at all, if avoidable). I think someone was a bit rough with the 1914-15 Star, but nice all the same.

Really nice two-war group. Congrats.

Pat G.

Hi Pat,

Yes I don't clean the medals I have other than with a damp cloth and then I dry immediately afterwords. He did have the other medal in his gouping but it was not named so I don't know why he had it.

Cheers
    Gary
    Quote by Patgore View Post
    Really beautiful group, especially with badges, photos and documentation.

The odd ribbon with the bar (green, orange, red) is for the Africa Service Medal which he didn't have...it was for regular WWII service. The medal with the (unwatered) red, white and blue ribbon is the "South African Medal for War Service", for voluntary service during WWII, and was supposed to be awarded only to those who didn't get the Afriica Service Medal....it was either/or but not both. But I have seen legit exceptions. The rule wasn't always followed.

I'm sure you know not to use steel wool on medals (or clean at all, if avoidable). I think someone was a bit rough with the 1914-15 Star, but nice all the same.

Really nice two-war group. Congrats.

Pat G.

Hi, Gary:

It might be worth checking with the SA min of defence or archives to see if Pte. Levi was one of the rarities who had both medals. I'm guessing they have something similar to the UK medal card.

As you know most SA medals were named, so the blank ASM might have been his, but most of the guys who had that also qualifed for one or more of the British stars (1939-45, Africa Star, etc...all named).

But it's a nice group as it is.

Cheers,

Pat