Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rare Portuguese?

Article about: I need some help from some real experts out there. I just traded for this helmet, and was told it is a rare type--? Portuguese I'm told. Now of course I did a little bit of research to find

Default Rare Portuguese?

I need some help from some real experts out there. I just traded for this helmet, and was told it is a rare type--? Portuguese I'm told. Now of course I did a little bit of research to find what I could and this helmet appears to be almost too good to be true. Written in somewhat faded ink on the leather lining inside the helmet is some German... my friend told me ( I don't know German) that it says that it's a Portuguese Helmet found on the battlefield near Estaires France after the offensive of April 9th 1918. Of course the only part I recognize is the date and Portuguese Helm.

At any rate, my research indicates that this shell is rare by itself but they are almost non existant with the liner, anybody confirm or dismiss this? It also says that many have had various unit insignia added to them to make them more valuable but the plain ones like this are now in fact even more rare as a result.

I recently seen one sell on ebay for like 800 bucks that had a unit symbol on the front and I seen a different one that was just the shell only sell for about 150 so..... what do you folks think this one might be worth?? Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance for your time.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rare Portuguese?   Rare Portuguese?  

Rare Portuguese?  

Default Re: Rare Portuguese?

It looks honest to me.

See if this site helps you learn more:

Google Translate

I cannot advise on values sorry.

Cheers, Ade.

Wow, good info, according to that site everything about this helmet checks out 100% accurate. Only problem is that it's misssing the chin strap and that's it. Good original piece and a German Soldier bring home no less- now for value....

Reg
    ?

Nice Helmet, Rare too, Cant say Ive ever seen one before but in pictures! Good find

Reg

?

Quote by Cannonman17 View Post
    Wow, good info, according to that site everything about this helmet checks out 100% accurate. Only problem is that it's misssing the chin strap and that's it. Good original piece and a German Soldier bring home no less- now for value....

Nothing wrong with this one! Great helmet. 100% correct for me.
    Indeed you could find them (years ago) without a liner and I remember only seeing one with liner years ago....and that was it.
    Ofcourse always better with a chinstrap but don't worry for this one, the lining does it all!!!
    Cheers,
    Marc

Any rought ideas as to value? I may put it up on the bay but don't know if I should or not.... I'm under the impression from my research and other's opinions that I will probably never see, much less get my hands on, another one like this. On the other hand... I'm an average joe with kids, wife, house, bills, etc and if this is worth a good chunk of change I may sell it. I'm really torn, my helmet collection is just starting out and this is probably as rare as I will get... traded some artifacts for it actually so I don't have any money in it..

oh what to do...

Thumbs up Re: Rare Portuguese?

Quote by Cannonman17 View Post
    Any rought ideas as to value? I may put it up on the bay but don't know if I should or not.... I'm under the impression from my research and other's opinions that I will probably never see, much less get my hands on, another one like this. On the other hand... I'm an average joe with kids, wife, house, bills, etc and if this is worth a good chunk of change I may sell it. I'm really torn, my helmet collection is just starting out and this is probably as rare as I will get... traded some artifacts for it actually so I don't have any money in it..

oh what to do...
    my advise is to hold on to this helmet for a while until your sure you want to part with it, because this is a RARE HELMET and you might regret getting rid of it so soon! I always keep the rare and hard to find items and sell the more common items first.

my guess is it could be worth $500 and up

?

Yep looks fine to me, certainly worth hanging on to as these only come along once in a very long time.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Well, I appreciate the advice. I am torn already but do have it listed on ebay, I'm not sure that I want to part with it so I put a reserve of 600 on it.... ugh, my stomach is churning at the thought of parting with it to be honest but if it meets or exceeds the reserve I will have come out WAY ahead on the deal too.. I traded an artifact I paid little for to get this and another helmet so.....we'll see what happens I guess.

Here's a question I got today on this helmet on ebay...

"Hi
    It's in fact a great helmet, but let me clear some facts:
    I am a collector and also an advisor of the Portuguese Military Museum (Lisbon) and have written several Militaria books, including one about Portuguese Military Headdree.
    The "tactical symbols (a combination of red and green squares and triangles) were adopted after the battle of La Lys and are extremely rare (much rarer than the unmarked helmets. The yellow rifles you refer (with yellow regimental number above) were adopted for Infantry regiments ORs in 1920 and discontinued in the late 1930s. Officers wore white symbols and yellow numbers, but on Mark I helmets.
    If you can send me your E-Mail, I can send you some pictures.
    Anyway, it is a great helmet and if you are so kind as to tell me the reserve price (or the amount you would be wiliing to sell) I could make an apropriate offer.
    Best wishes
    Pedro Soares Branco"

So does anybody else want to throw in their hat and give me a guese as to what I should be looking to get for this helmet?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast