Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Re: WW1 Flying helmet? Polish or Italian?

Article about: Hi all. I picked this up today in Central France. I saw it in a box & thought it was yet another French Gino Motorcycle helmet but it wasn't! I then convinced myself that it was a Roold

Default Re: WW1 Flying helmet? Polish or Italian?

Hi all.
    I picked this up today in Central France. I saw it in a box & thought it was yet another French Gino Motorcycle helmet but it wasn't!
    I then convinced myself that it was a Roold type with the cross of Lorraine on, & then when I got it home I decided it was Polish, but having spoken to the Lady I bought it from I discovered that it had belonged to her Grandfather who was Italian but had lived in France............... I can find plenty examples of airmen wearing Roold types but I cannot find any photos of Polish airmen & the only Italian in a helmet didn't look like this. It is in remarkably good condition. I should have just asked on here 1st! Any help or suggestions gratefully received as always. The lady is sending me her Grandfathers name later but of course the helmet may not have been his.
    Re: WW1 Flying helmet? Polish or Italian?Re: WW1 Flying helmet? Polish or Italian?Re: WW1 Flying helmet? Polish or Italian?Re: WW1 Flying helmet? Polish or Italian?Re: WW1 Flying helmet? Polish or Italian?Re: WW1 Flying helmet? Polish or Italian?Thanks Regards Rob

it's not aviation. It's a mid century Spanish tank crewmans helmet - some info here The Wonders of Tanker Helmets | Breach Bang Clear

Hello Chesterpiglet,

Many thanks for your post the Badge is not Polish, but is in fact Spanish,

Re: WW1 Flying helmet? Polish or Italian?

Badge of the Spanish Army.

Best wishes

Andrzej
    Last edited by andrzejku98; 04-15-2019 at 09:55 AM. Reason: mispelling

Hi there.
    Many thanks to both of you- much appreciated.
    That's the last thing I thought it was!.
    Regards Rob

Is there any way of dating mine from the photos?
    Thanks

From the late 1930's into the mid 1960's.

Thanks- I was hoping that there were subtle changes over the years that may help to date it a bit more accurately.