Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Recently Acquired French Helmet

Article about: Hello all, I picked this up from as part of a larger bundle of items the other day. I didn't look at it too much at the time, I merely saw a French helmet and put it in my pile. However when

Default Recently Acquired French Helmet

Hello all,

I picked this up from as part of a larger bundle of items the other day. I didn't look at it too much at the time, I merely saw a French helmet and put it in my pile. However when I got it home I noticed that's it had a few coats of paint through its life which are now poking through. It appears there's some tan and some green. Any thoughts on the indications these colors may have meant through this helmets life?
    Thank you and warm wishes.

?

Hello

does not seem to be french ??

cordially
    Didier

Didier,

Thank you for the response. In which case, do you have any suggestions as to what it may be?

Can you please post more photos of the front, ones of only the back do not help with IDing when it comes to Adrian's.

I do not believe it to be WW1 French either, due to the lack of a lip where the skirt and dome meet. During the First World War in France it was a 3 piece plus the
    comb construction, this is only 1, with the comb seemingly welded rather than attached with rivets. From the inside photos it looks to have slots to mount a badge on the front. A website I often used for referencing Adrian's is this one here:
    World War Helmets - Reference de casques de 1915 a nos jours.

The Italian Model 16 Lippmann looks a lot like yours.

This thread here has a helmet similiair to yours: Italian m15/16 Helmet
    Scroll down to reply #5 and it might give you some more info.

If I find anything to argue otherwise in the meantime I'll let you know. Please post photos of the front.
    Best Wishes
    Harvey
    Last edited by HetzersGonnaHetz; 02-17-2020 at 10:35 AM.

Harvey,

Thank you so much. I’ve only ever had a French Second World War Adrian before so I was a little out of my comfort zone. The seller called it French which I stuck with. That being said, thank you and Didier for helping me find this helmets true story. Much appreciated and the warmest of wishes to you both!

Pic's of the front might help.
    Not Italian to me too, because of the holes (last pic!), mend to put insignia on it.
    Italian helmet didn't had holes, insignia was painted on, if they had any.
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Harvey,

I hope my prior message has found you well. Now that I'm home, here is a photo of the front. Warm wishes and once again, thank you for the guidance and correction you and Didier have provided.

I was hoping to see a shadow or anything the original insignia might have left...
    Strange to see vertical slits in stead of horizontal....
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Quote by stuka f View Post
    Pic's of the front might help.
    Not Italian to me too, because of the holes (last pic!), mend to put insignia on it.
    Italian helmet didn't had holes, insignia was painted on, if they had any.
    Hi stuka, please see the link i've attached below:

World War Helmets - Reference de casques de 1915 a nos jours.

I still believe this to be a first world war Italian helmet. The one piece construction, lack of rivets which has been substituted for electircal welding, the colour, and also the slots on the front. Further down on the link I've listed it says that although initially they were not given holes to the front, in 1925ish they were given metal insignia to be applied and the holes added were vertical ones! If i had to take an educated guess it would be that this is an early manufacture Model 16 Italian 'Lippmann' which has been reconfigured inter-war to fit with the introduction of metal badges.

I've attached a photo below of what in my eyes look to be wear from the outline of a badge. I may well just be seeing what i want to see, so let me know if i've dropped a clanger.

In short, i still think it is an italian m16 lippmann.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Recently Acquired French Helmet  

The page linked is a french one so Chrome's translate feature might have led me astray but from what it translated as has led me to ID it as what I have.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast