Well I had to think about how I wanted these repairs to my WW1 Canadian 2nd Canadian Mounted Rifles tunic. There is a lot of moth damage, and these tunics are so very rare.
After much thought, and talking with the woman I know that can do this sort of thing, I decieded that only 2 areas would be repaired, and as I did not want to hide the repairs, I took a badly worn WW2 Wedge cap as the doner. The repairs show up more clearly in the photos than with the eye, yes there are still areas that show mothing, however I am very happy with how this worked out.
Some have told me I should have had the repairs done so as not to see them, however I think that the damage adds to the piece.
NOW, the important thing I learned is this. Where the bad damage was done, the rest of the area was in really poor condition, turns out that had I not gotten the hole "repaired", after time the arm may have come away from the tunic at the elbow, due to rot. This could not be seen until the repair was done.
A large re-enforcement was put behind this area, so now the tunic can be displayed on it's judy safely
That is something everyone should look at when you buy a damaged bit of uniform.
I cannot think what my reaction would have been had I come down one morning and seen the cats playing with the bottom part of the arm of this tunic!!!