Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Rimless Brodie shell

Article about: Hi All I've been looking for one of these for the collection for about a decade now and late last year I finally found an example. No liner but glad I've one in the collection. Hope you like

Reg
    ?

Default Rimless Brodie shell

Hi All

I've been looking for one of these for the collection for about a decade now and late last year I finally found an example. No liner but glad I've one in the collection. Hope you like it. If any one can tell me anything more about it, please do.

Thanks

Reg
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rimless Brodie shell   Rimless Brodie shell  

Rimless Brodie shell   Rimless Brodie shell  

Beautiful Brodie indeed Reg,luv that rippling you get on these early rimless types steel supplier W.Beardsmore & co Ltd of Glasgow,well done and worth the long wait,thanks for sharing such an important part of the steel combat Helmet story............

Very nice,almost broke my neckbut very nice

Hi, It is a nice shell but it is not a 1915 War Department 'rimless' helmet, only 4400 of the were made and are very distinctive. The BS 47 is the code for the steel supplier Beardmore & Sons who did not begin supplying steel until august 1916, the 47 would indicate a late 1916 or early 1917 production. The wobbly pressing marks indicate a worn press die or low lubricant or both. Your shell is missing its' rim versus having been made without one, these are lightly spot welded and do become detached over the years, liners rot out or are stripped away - as in your case. The trouble here is that there is a small chance that it might be a late Mk I B but the tell tale features like the oilskin liner and narrow early chin strap bales are missing. I would keep looking....
    a good thread here on them on the GWF Rimless Brodies with different owners & liners - Uniforms & Cap Badges - Great War Forum
    By Marcus Cotton:

The model B rimless Brodie was made of hardened non magnetic steel

Usually painted apple green (rimmed helmets are khaki)

The liner is secured by a single rivet punched through the dome

The chinstrap has a prong adjuster (rimmed helmets have a slider buckle)

The chinstrap is attached by folding the strap over having passed it approx. 28mm long by 9mm wide. The loop formed is riveted with a single 2 pronged rivet with the prongs folded over to secure the strap.

The liner consisted of a shiny oilskin type which the troops thought too slippery as the helmet moved around.

Steel suppliers etc. (found this on my laptop and is attributed to Marcus Cotton. Don't know where I got the info)

Steel suppliers:

FS, Thomas Firth and Sons (Sept.15 thru 19)
    HS, Hadfields Ltd. Jan 16 thru 1919
    BS, W Beardmore & Co. Ltd. Jan 16 thru 19
    MS, Miris Steel Co. Ltd March 16 thru 17

Until August 1916 most of this steel was supplied to Joseph Sankey and Son Ltd. for pressing into helmet shape. The remaining 75,000 sheets went to Bleriot Ltd in London or Army & Navy Cooperative.

Sheffield Munitions committee suppliers:

A) Helmet Manufacturer

D, James Dixon & Sons Dec 15 till?
    H, W Hutton & Sons Dec 15 till?
    HH, Harrison Bros. & Howson Ltd. Dec 15 till?
    M, J&J Maxfield & sons Dec 15 till?
    R, John Round & Sons 1916
    V, W&E Viener Dec 15 till

Steel Supplier
    A, Edgar Allen and Co. Ltd 16-18
    F, Thomas Firth and Sons 16 till 18
    O, Samuel Osborne & Co Ltd. 16 thru 18
    V, Vickers Ltd 16-17
    B, Bury's & Co. 16-18

Codes on helmets should read M/A That is helmet made by J&J Maxfield & sons from steel supplied by Edgar Allen and Co. Ltd followed by a lot code for the steel.

Sheffield only produced small quantities a week, Edgar Allen and Co. Ltd was known to mark helmets with "Imperial".

Helmet manufacturers not part of the Sheffield Munitions Committee Group:

Army & Navy Co-operative Society Sept 1915 thru Jan 1916 (Not Marked)

Joseph Sankey & Sons Ltd. Oct 15 to Oct 16 (No marks except Steel suppliers)

Bleriot Ltd. May 1916 to October 1916 (No marks except Steel suppliers)

Hadfields Ltd. Aug 1916 to 1919 (Prior to Aug 1916 this firm only supplied steel no mark other than original Steel supplier mark) Aug 16 thru 19

W Beardmore & Co. Ltd. Aug 1916 thru 1918 (Prior to Aug 1916 this firm only supplied steel no mark other than original Steel supplier mark) Aug 16 thru 18

Miris Steel Co. (Prior to Aug 1916 this firm only supplied steel no mark other than original Steel supplier mark) Sept 16 thru 17.

Other marks not 100% identified:

MLS ?
    FKS Possibly Thomas Firth & Son

Glad I was talking C...,good info supplied and I guess we can all still learn alot,thanks for the correction

Reg
    ?

Cheers Gents, That's why I love the forum... I'll keep looking. :-D

Reg

?

It was only the other day that I saw what lI thought was a rimless shell however, I wasn't 100% sure so left it and I'm glad I did because after reading the info above it must just have been a shell missing it's rim.

Reg, it's still a great looking helmet shell.

Tony

This is a good rimless helmet shell. The chinstrap loop tabs are the early narrow style, and are not seen on rimmed helmets.

?

Going to the airport in one hour for a trip until next Thurs. when I can post photos. But just received a rimless Brodie and had to describe its beautiful primitiveness. Definitely never had a rimmed edge. Rippled brim. Smooth dark green paint. A 'B' over an 'S' stamped into brim (Beardmore & Co. of Glasgow), and no other stamps. Crude-looking split-pins and top pin. Thin bales. Red or orange painted "57321" on inner rim as well as a red or orange ball painted on the side. Shiny oilcloth liner attached to a light tan cloth band. Has a thin pad held by the top pin, but I see no signs of mesh, string, a rubber ring, or a paper tag. Non-magnetic shell. Nice supple leather chinstrap adjustable by a prong system. Stay tuned for pictures (hope it's easy).

I look forward in anticipation. Well done on your acquisition!

Cheers,
    Steve

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast