Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Roll of Honour

Article about: I've just spent the past few days in the Lake District, and while there, I called in an antique/gift shop in Grasmere. They always have a good selection of second-hand and rare books for sal

Default Roll of Honour

I've just spent the past few days in the Lake District, and while there, I called in an antique/gift shop in Grasmere. They always have a good selection of second-hand and rare books for sale, and you never know what you are likely to find. I had already chosen a 1928 edition of: 'MILITARY OPERATIONS EGYPT & PALESTINE FROM THE OUTBREAK OF WAR WITH GERMANY TO JUNE 1917'. And then on the top shelf - out of reach, I spotted a large book with the title: 'CRAVEN'S part in the GREAT WAR'. The book is a roll of honour for all servicemen from the Skipton area and surrounding district of North Yorkshire who lost their lives in the Great War. Every serviceman is listed, and there is a photograph for practically every serviceman. besides this, there is also a nominal roll for the 1st/6th and 2nd/6th Duke of Wellington's West Riding Regiment. The book was published in 1920, with a copy being given to all surviving servicemen and the families of those who were killed. All costs were paid for by Walter Morrison, Esq., J.P. of Malham Tarn. It truly is a quite remarkable book, and a valuable record of all those men from the Skipton area who lost their lives. The book is 391 pages in total, the majority of which are dedicated to recording the names and photographs of the fallen. The list is done in alphabetical order for each year of the war.

Roll of HonourRoll of HonourRoll of HonourRoll of HonourRoll of HonourRoll of HonourRoll of Honour[/ATTACH]Roll of HonourRoll of HonourRoll of HonourRoll of HonourRoll of HonourRoll of Honour
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Roll of Honour