Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Royal Flying Corps air drop message streamer

Article about: I picked this up today in a local antiques center and though I knew of their existence, I had never seen another in the hand or for sale, so I could not resist buying. Used to drop messages

Default Royal Flying Corps air drop message streamer

I picked this up today in a local antiques center and though I knew of their existence, I had never seen another in the hand or for sale, so I could not resist buying. Used to drop messages to your allies, mostly for reporting enemy troop locations so your artillery can shell them. It was labelled RFC by the seller but I assume they were used in the twenties and thirties as well, so it might be RAF. The condition is fantastic and as far as I can tell the construction and materials are all correct for the period. It has a little pouch at one end which closes with a press stud and I assume you placed the message in there along with a weight and threw it over the side.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal Flying Corps air drop message streamer   Royal Flying Corps air drop message streamer  

Royal Flying Corps air drop message streamer   Royal Flying Corps air drop message streamer  

Royal Flying Corps air drop message streamer   Royal Flying Corps air drop message streamer  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Default Re: Royal Flying Corps air drop message streamer

Congrats on acquiring this interesting piece, Jerry. Didn't even know about these.

Tom

I like it,very unusual.I would suggest however that i would have thought a WW1 period item would have been more likely to have had a button to close the pouch with,so i would go with your idea that it is 1920's/30's.

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    I like it,very unusual.I would suggest however that i would have thought a WW1 period item would have been more likely to have had a button to close the pouch with,so i would go with your idea that it is 1920's/30's.
    A valid point, but it would be easier to close the press stud than fumble with a button with gloves on in an open cockpit aircraft I think? I freely admit to not knowing much about these and you might be correct. I'll post it on the Great War Forum at some stage and maybe and see what people there think.
    Regards,

Jerry

Good point well made,it would be much easier,i hope you get a definate conclusion.

It is in mint condition. Lovely

Just a thought,as the message would have to be written back then and the aircraft would most likely have been a two seater if it were a spotter,the observer would have had to remove his gloves to write it and throw it leaving the pilot free to fly?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Just a thought,as the message would have to be written back then and the aircraft would most likely have been a two seater if it were a spotter,the observer would have had to remove his gloves to write it and throw it leaving the pilot free to fly?
    Very true, so we still don't know its date, except the seller had it marked up as RFC. Whatever the outcome on the date, its a cool item and I am glad to have it in my collection.
    Regards,

Jerry

I absolutly agree, a very rare and unusual peice that i very much doubt will turn up again.A top buy my friend

100% WW1 item in standard colours for the time.

Read this for more info, it's illuminating.

Aeroplane Message, "La Folie Farme" 1918 - The war in the air - Great War Forum
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast