Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

RWF items

Article about: just to show a special collection of items that belonged to my great grandfather so if your interested in the RWF id like to share them with you ,he was a machine gunner during the gallipoli

A very nice collection James. You are a very lucky man to have so many items which show your great-grandfathers service in both world wars, and I really do envy you. I don't know whether you noticed, but in the top picture, the rifles are either Lee Metford's or Long Lee Enfield Mk1's. This was quite common when the men were training, owing to the shortage of the newer SMLE. But there is a picture in a book I have on the Lee Enfield which shows the Kings Liverpool Regiment on the Somme - armed with supposedly obsolete charger loading Long Lee Enfield Mk1*.

hi steve and thanks for looking with regard to the picture i didnt notice but i will have a closer look ,you know your rifles so its a nice bit of detective work there on your part and something that would have gone unnoticed ,i must ask my father if the original photos are still around somewhere ,can i ask if the rifles you mention were used in the boer war ,you have jogged my memory as i recall my great grandad mentioning it im sure ,thanks, james

?

A lovely collection James and IMO pricless and good to see that your families history is being well kept and preserved for future generations .
    If and when new evidence and history comes to light on you Great Grandfathers service and history it should be all added and compiled together .

Regards Mark

thanks mark to be honest i wanted to keep it brief and just try and focus on the items and not the man and i agree with you no amount could buy this personal collection of items ,i buy all sorts of militaria off the web as you know but opening a box of a family members belongings filled me with all sorts of emotions ,nice to hear your thoughts mate ,regards james
    Last edited by James C; 05-17-2015 at 07:41 PM.

Very nice James, it is always good to own something from your familily in your collection and o know where and when they served.

Matt

hi matt and thanks for looking over the items, its appreciated

Those rifles would certainly have seen action in the Boer war James.

thank you very much for showing this James,very interesting.

thanks steve and your very welcome harry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2