Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Silly, but opinions on wearing a US WW1 jacket?

Article about: I tend to disagree with most of the replies, as I wear an original WWI US tunic when I do presentations, it has no history, and I bought it new in 1967 from the US Army stores through a loca

Default Silly, but opinions on wearing a US WW1 jacket?

This might seem like a silly question to collectors, but what is your opinion on wearing a WW1 US wool jacket? Assuming i found one relatively cheaply, would you consider it to precious to wear, or are they not valuable enough to where one can be "taken out of circulation"?

On the flipside, assuming it is not ok, is there anywhere that sells reproductions at a reasonable rate?

I'd prefer to hear from someone who knows something before i rush off and fulfill my fantasies. Thanks!

Default Re: Silly, but opinions on wearing WW1 jacket?

it really depends on just what you have. got any pics? personally, i would not do so. If its real then it could be very delicate being almost a 100 yrs old! Even if it looks to be in tip top shape, the threads/seems could burst... ouch. yeah im sure there are repo's around. that's the way i would roll if it were up too me.

?

Welcome to the forum.

My own personal opinion is that historical items should not be worn. I don't know in what context you mean when you talk about wearing a WW1 jacket, is it for re-enacting, casual or something else?

If you want the style than buy a repro but please don't wear any historical item just for the sake of it. They don't make them like that any more and as we as collectors preserve, research and care for pieces of history I can't see anyone condoning the wearing of such a piece.

Get a re-enactors uniform jacket and wear it how you want to but please don't risk a piece of history. Let a collector have it so it will be around for the next generation.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Craftbox: For WWI reenactor uniforms try Great War Militaria at www.greatwar.com You will pay less than for an original, but it will look just as good and you won't be endangering an artifact that can't be replaced. Once the original item is gone, it's gone forever. Dwight

Hello Craftbox - welcome to the Forum.

Personally - no. I would not wear a WWI type unless needed for occasional re-enacting.
    As a daily wear jacket/coat, I think they are too valuable, and there are likely decent
    repros available that would do. I've worn Korean era wool BD, repro WWII leather
    flight jackets and 70's-80's camo stuff over the years - and still do, but only
    because they are very common, and reasonably cheap.

Why the interest in wearing an original WWI tunic out and about ?
    Regards,

Steve.

In saying a "WWI Jacket", are you talking about a Uniform Tunic? What kind of condition is it in? All of it's insignias intact? To wear a 100 year old woolen garment-whether it be military or not-is definitely Not a good idea in any case. Certainly, the ages have weakened it's fibers and linings, threads, etc. and it would quickly deteriorate into something worthless after a very short while. So, to answer your question, I would have to answer with a definite No-do Not wear it about under any circumstances. If you simply like the Look of it, as has been said, modern replicas do exist in the same styles and materials and can be easily found for reasonable money. Certainly better than destroying a period uniform.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Hi Craftbox and welcome to our playground :-)

I would certainly never wear such an antiquity. You should get yourself a nice reenactor's piece instead.

And, remember, there is no such thingie as a silly question!

Chris
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

I saw a "scene kid" wearing his grandfather's WWII Ike jacket at the movie theater once... If I remember correctly, it was for the 1st Infantry Division complete with a ruptured duck, ribbon bars with battle stars, and bars for long service.

I asked him if he knew he was wearing a valuable piece of history, and he gave me an attitude.

I would have sat down and cried my eyes out of the sockets.
    Joke aside, my dad actually told me, when I had just gotten my officer's tunic back in '10, to wear it out shopping. Things like that should be kept behind glass. Not dads, uniforms.
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

Thank you for the replies! I am looking into Greatwar.com for a uniform.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast