MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The Silver War Badge

Article about: Not a high level award to be sure, but given that it recognised those who had spilled their blood for their country, still a significant one. For those who may be unfamiliar with it, the Sil

?

Default Re: The Silver War Badge

Cheers Redcap & there is me thinking it was WW2 all along! thanks for the info. live & learn..Terry.

Very informative thread. Thank you for enlightening us on this badge. I had no idea what they were for.

Burt

?

Thanks guys, glad you found it of interest. A modest, but much under-rated little badge in my opinion. They are real silver too !

Should also mention that as well as the Silver War Badge with the "C" prefic, Canada also produced two versions of its own badge.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Silver War Badge  

?

Interestingly, Canada declared a serious punishment would be applied for its mis-use (wearing a badge youi weren't entitled to ). 500 Dollars was a fair bit of money back then to say nothing of the jail time !

?

So they should A bit like this bloke did a few years ago!!! He was found out & fined.

foz405
    ?

Thanks for the info. I have two of these at home, both with certificates. They belonged to my grandfather and grand-uncle who served at Gallipoli, Egypt and The Somme. They actually returned home, but William Vane, who was awarded the Military Medal, died shortly thereafter from being gassed.
    My question is, mine have vertical pins, and are numbered A73104 & A95251. The earlier one I think may have been William's. It has an addition pinned over the crown, and I think this is original. It is a diamond shaped device, split horizontally, red on the top, and black on the bottom. Does anyone know what this means ? It may have to do with the fact he was a stretcher-bearer, and one of the few that survived.
    Grahame, Australia

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2