Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Since its the 100th

Article about: My Great Uncle . His bible he carried to Ypers where he was shot and killed. Also his book of St John he carried at the seige of Ladysmith South Africa in 1900. And the message from Lord Rob

hog
    ?

Default Since its the 100th

My Great Uncle .

His bible he carried to Ypers where he was shot and killed.
    Also his book of St John he carried at the seige of Ladysmith South Africa in 1900.

And the message from Lord Roberts in the front of the pocket bible.

You have a couple of great little books there to remember him by mate, they are important to keep in the family and pass them down. He was one of many KIA, it was a horrible conflict.

He's got my respect!.....

Nice to see your Great uncle was a seasoned vet when he left for France with the BEF.something to be immensely proud of,thanks for sharing........

hog
    ?

I would love to find his 3 medals he would have received from WW1 and also his Boer war medals but have no idea where they would have gone or even which ones he would have got down there, the family on this side no longer exist and as I have spent all my life in South Africa would not know where to start.

Not too sure about the exact way to go about finding out but have you tried "Kew" West London,thats where all second Boer war and ww1 Records are kept,however under WO 364 only 2 million records survive due to Kew being bombed during 1940,some 5 million records were lost so sadly there is only about a 40% of finding your Great uncle's military history,I would start there,all the best with your quest.........

hog
    ?

Thanks for the help, I will get in touch with the Royal Lancaster Reg (Kings Own) museum, they may shed some light on it.

at least he is remembered by family,many are not.