Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Small WW1 collection

Article about: In 1978 or so, in an old trunk in a basement in Massachusetts, I found these items. I know the helmet is from the 77th Division out of NY. I believe the helmet, mess kit, cup and holster wer

?

Default Small WW1 collection

In 1978 or so, in an old trunk in a basement in Massachusetts, I found these items. I know the helmet is from the 77th Division out of NY. I believe the helmet, mess kit, cup and holster were all part of the gear of the soldier who had recently died in the house (that had then been sold and was being remodeled). The shoulder straps and gas mask are German and likely souvenirs he brought back. The holster seems to be stamped G 1916 AG and has an ink stamp on the inside flap that might be 1694 (?). There are carved initials in the mess kit cover, and the year - AB 17, and there is also writing on the bottom of the cup that I cannot entirely decipher; Maybe Erzwu Jr ?. The helmet is heat stamped ZE 31, but seems to have no other maker marks.
    I guess I would like to find out if the heat stamp indicates the manufacturer or anything else, who AB might have been (and Erzwu (?) Jr), what the holster stamps might indicate. Also what the shoulder straps numbers represent. I have called the town hall (Gloucester Massachusetts) as I have the address of the house where I found these items, but they are closed for the foreseeable future, so I am not sure I could get the name of the soldier that way at the moment. I looked at some Lost Battalion lists and found some men with AB as their initials, but I do not know what company or regiment he was in. The helmet has a faded ink stamp on the liner that might say 3rd DA... but it is not very legible.
    Any suggestions for how to proceed or information anyone can decipher would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Having a hard time uploading more than 1 image, so I will start with one and try to add the rest afterwards.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Small WW1 collection  

?

Default More pics I hope

Anyone else having trouble uploading files? I have shrunk them down. Is there a limit to how many can be in the upload manager? I have 39 at the moment. No idea how to delete them.

Sadly you can't upload a group of pics any more....you have to go through the process for each pic...and then you can "insert in line" them in one go

so:--
    Paper Clip
    Add Files
    Choose File
    upload
    (next pic) Choose file
    upload
    (next pic) Choose file
    upload
    (next pic) Choose file
    upload
    etc etc then "insert in line"

?

I can not even get one more pic to upload. I contacted admin. We will see what they say. Thanks for the help.

actually you hit the go advanced button then hit pictures upload, then hit add files, you can hit the + button up to 10 times to upload 10 pics, they must be less than 1mb each, though sometimes you can post bigger images

this is from a computer, not a phone
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Default More pics I hope

Small WW1 collectionSmall WW1 collectionSmall WW1 collectionSmall WW1 collectionSmall WW1 collectionSmall WW1 collectionSmall WW1 collection

?

Default more photos

Small WW1 collectionSmall WW1 collectionSmall WW1 collectionSmall WW1 collectionSmall WW1 collection

Great collection of items.

?

Thanks for saying so. These were what started my interest in 20th century militaria. Someone on another site added this very interesting information.
    "HI, the German 183rd Infantry Regiment was a component of the 192nd Infantry Division. In 1918 they were in the St Mihiel Salient but the American 77th Division was not. Later they were involved in the Meuse Argonne offensive but I am not sure they fought the 77th. The 87h strap could be from either the 87th Infantry Regiment or the 87th Reserve infantry Regiment. The 87th Infantry was a component of the 21st Infantry Division while the 87th Reserve was in the 21st Reserve Division. In 1918 both of these units fought in the British sectors. IN short, I am afraid I could not connect either of these straps to 77th Division battles."