Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Soldiers Box to 185 Sergeant G R Snowden 1/5th Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regimnent

Article about: This soldiers box and its contents was the property of 185 Sergeant GR Snowden 1/5 KORL He served from 1903 to 1919. Wounded at Ypres on 5th May 1915 he never served overseas again. In WW2 h

Steve Burke 1
    ?

Default 185 Sjt George Russell Snowden

Hi. I'm new to the Forum. I came across your thread while researching 185 Sjt George Russell Snowden 5th King's Own/ Labour Corps. I've just purchased his medals from a friend who bought them in 1994 and is now thinning out his collection. He framed up the medals together with his Volunteer Battalion shooting medals and a post card photo which, surprisingly, is the same one you pictured and was apparently taken at Altcar Ranges. It was interesting to see the images of his equipment. I noticed you have his Silver War Badge. It should be numbered B304817. It's a shame they can't all be re-united. It I can figure out how to post images I will send some!Soldiers Box to 185 Sergeant G R Snowden 1/5th Kings Own Royal Lancaster RegimnentSoldiers Box to 185 Sergeant G R Snowden 1/5th Kings Own Royal Lancaster RegimnentSoldiers Box to 185 Sergeant G R Snowden 1/5th Kings Own Royal Lancaster RegimnentSoldiers Box to 185 Sergeant G R Snowden 1/5th Kings Own Royal Lancaster RegimnentSoldiers Box to 185 Sergeant G R Snowden 1/5th Kings Own Royal Lancaster RegimnentSoldiers Box to 185 Sergeant G R Snowden 1/5th Kings Own Royal Lancaster RegimnentSoldiers Box to 185 Sergeant G R Snowden 1/5th Kings Own Royal Lancaster RegimnentSoldiers Box to 185 Sergeant G R Snowden 1/5th Kings Own Royal Lancaster RegimnentSoldiers Box to 185 Sergeant G R Snowden 1/5th Kings Own Royal Lancaster RegimnentSoldiers Box to 185 Sergeant G R Snowden 1/5th Kings Own Royal Lancaster RegimnentSoldiers Box to 185 Sergeant G R Snowden 1/5th Kings Own Royal Lancaster RegimnentSoldiers Box to 185 Sergeant G R Snowden 1/5th Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regimnent

Hi Steve,

The picture was taken at Green Lane Bridge Didcot in autumn 1914. See here a photo I donated to the museum. Nice to know where his medals are.

King's Own Royal Regiment Museum

regards

Mark

Steve Burke 1
    ?

Default Sjt Snowden

Thanks for your speedy response. Yes I can see now that the photo was taken by a bridge. The info from the family who sold the medals back in 1994 was that he worked on the ranges at Altcar during the War - maybe it was during his time in the Labour Corps. I've done a summary of the research I found which you might find of interest (it seems that his service record no longer exists).

George Russell Snowden was born at Bradford on 7 Jun 1884 to Matthew Russell Snowden, a joiner, and Mary Snowden, of 23 Edmund Street, Bradford.

By 1891 they had moved to Sunset View, Sandylands, Heysham.

By 1911 his father had taken over a boarding house at Morecambe and George was working as a self-employed joiner.

He enlisted in the 2nd Volunteer Battalion, The King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment and became an accomplished shot, winning 3 silver medals for target shooting. When The Territorial Force was formed on 1 Apr 1908 George was absorbed into the new 5th Battalion of The King's Own and he received the service number 185.

Following the Declaration of War Serjeant Snowden was mobilised with his Battalion and after service at home he entered France on 14 Feb 1915. At some point he was transferred to the Labour Corps and was given the number 203034. After the War George was medically discharged as being unfit for further service due to sickness and he was awarded a Silver War Badge, serial number B304817. He was 'Disembodied' (a Territorial Force member stood down) on 25 Mar 19.

For his service George received the 1914-15 Star; British War Medal and Allied Victory Medal all named to 185 Sjt G.R. Snowden. R Lanc R. He was also awarded the Territorial Force Efficiency Medal - for 12 years service, named to 203034 Sjt G.R. Snowden. 554/ H.S. Emp. Coy Lab Corps. (Home Service Employment Company Labour Corps).

After the War George served in the Special Constabulary and was awarded the Special Constabulary Long Service Medal for 9 years service (Geo V issue).

During WW2 he served at Home and received the Defence Medal.

George died at Lancaster in 1974, aged 80.

Now I have the extra info you gave about his being wounded and his HG service I can add it to my summary. I expect you got the info from the records you got in the box. If there's any more personal info about him I would be most interested.

The HG jacket pictured in the Forum is badged to a Colour Sgt. But looking at the Tennant's Auction site it's apparent the service dress jacket and HG jacket pictured are bearing officer's 'pips' (looks like a Lieutenant?). Was he commissioned or were they someone else's jackets?

If you ever decide to part with his SWB please let me know so I can complete the medal group.

I believe his TFEM is rare the way it's named, because he got it for TF service but it's named to the Labour Corps, which was not part of the TF and was disbanded in 1919!

Regards

Hi

George was wounded by artillery fire at Ypres on 5th May 1915 evacuated to UK and spent most of 1915 recovering from his wounds. He was transferred to the Labour Corps and did indeed work on the ranges at Altcar. The Tennants catalogue photo incorrectly showed an officers uniform in another lot as part of George's items. George was never commissioned. I have his WW1 diary for 1915. Thanks for the additional info I had most of his service record but little about his early life.

regards

Mark

Some pictures of Georges pre war training, with his wife and son and recuperating from wounds
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soldiers Box to 185 Sergeant G R Snowden 1/5th Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regimnent   Soldiers Box to 185 Sergeant G R Snowden 1/5th Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regimnent  

Soldiers Box to 185 Sergeant G R Snowden 1/5th Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regimnent  

?

Hi, as the owner of his other Home Guard blouse, I just want to say thank-you to Mark and Steve for sharing all of this information (and the pictures). It makes my humble BD blouse a hundred times more interesting, at least to me!

Best regards, Paul

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2