Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Some sad post cards

Article about: Came across these four post cards last monday, as somebody was about to through them in the bin. Spotted the naval scene, and thought they would be wwI, and right I was. Don't know the story

Default Some sad post cards

Came across these four post cards last monday, as somebody was about to through them in the bin. Spotted the naval scene, and thought they would be wwI, and right I was. Don't know the story behind them, how the guy got them, and why the heck he was about to bin them, but I asked if I could have them so he gave them to me.
    Today a mate popped by, and he speaks a fair bit of French (all the cards are writen in old French). So I got a translation of them, and they are sad in a way.
    Obvious the soldier who wrote them would be dead by now, so reading what he had to say between 1914 and 1916 makes it a bit sad if you know what I mean.
    On the first card dated '14 he's telling about his group being moved to the north of France, and how he's meeting other lads and that he has bought some handkerchiefs. The war wouldn't last to long he thought.
    In 1915 he is very concerned about a gold ring that was made out of a gold coin, if they would send him the ring as he wanted it in the trench. They have been badly shelled in Verdun.
    In 1916 he is complaining about the circumstances they are kept prisoner, and the cold weather. Some friends he made in his company in '14, and moved up north with him have died in the trenches.
    The card with the wounded German soldier is a realy nice picture I think, maybe I'll put it in a picture frame.
    Hope you like them as much as I do!
    Attached Images Attached Images Some sad post cards  Some sad post cards  Some sad post cards  Some sad post cards  Some sad post cards  Some sad post cards  Some sad post cards  Some sad post cards 

Default Re: Some sad post cards

Yet again....I cannot fathom how or why some people can simply throw such things into the trash bins....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Default Re: Some sad post cards

I founds some French post cards myself a while back ago at an Estate sale. The family brought the cards over from France when they came here back in the early 20's. I had them translated by a friend, and I found them also depressing. The soldier told him family that he wasn't coming back home. It is tragic what those men went through in the trenches. Amazing finds!