Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Split 14/15 Star trio Welsh regiment, another Jones

Article about: Grabbed this off ebay today as it had no bids with 3 mins to go and I thought why not, price was good. I have bids in on another split Mons star trio so I was a bit wary as that one has alre

Default Split 14/15 Star trio Welsh regiment, another Jones

Grabbed this off ebay today as it had no bids with 3 mins to go and I thought why not, price was good. I have bids in on another split Mons star trio so I was a bit wary as that one has already gone high but I am still the high bidder so far.

Howell Jones, 1st Bn the Welsh Regiment, he had enlisted in May 1912 and entered France in January 1915 with the 1/Welsh, later he was transferred to the Labour coprs probably because of wounds because he was discharged with a silver war badge in 1919 under Kings Regulation 392 xvia, Surplus to military requirements (having suffered impairment since entry into the service).

the split trio consists of his 14/15 Star medal and his Victory medal so it is likely that his British War Medal was scrapped because they are made of solid silver, as sadly many were when the value of the silver was worth more than the medals were considered then.

1st Battalion
    August 1914 : in Chakrata, India, part of Dehra Dun Brigade in Meerut Division.
    Returned to England, landing at Plymouth on 22 December 1914. Moved to Hursley Park.
    Then came under orders of and remained with 84th Brigade in 28th Division.
    Landed at Le Havre 18 January 1915. Embarked at Marseilles for Egypt and eventually Salonika, 24 November 1915.

I do not know at what date he was transferred out of the Welsh, so I don't know which battles he might have taken part in but here is the list for the 84th Brigade, 28th Division.

The history of 28th Division

As regular units from the further garrisons of Empire arrived back in England, many having waited until a Territorial unit had gone out to replace them, they were formed up into three Divisions, numbered 27th to 29th. The 28th was formed at Hursley, Pitt Hill and Magdalen Hill Camps near Winchester in December 1914 - January 1915 and was rushed as a much-needed reinforcement to France. Shortage of some types of units were filled by Territorial units taken from other Divisions. The units of the Division embarked at Southampton and landed at Le Havre on 16-19 January 1915 and then moved to concentrate in the area between Bailleul and Hazebrouck. The Division subsequently took part in these actions:

The Second Battle of Ypres
    The Battle of Loos

The Division was ordered on 19 October 1915 to to prepare to sail. The first units left Marseilles for Alexandria (Egypt) five days later and all units (except XXXI and CXLVI Brigades RFA) were there by 22 November. The Division was then ordered on to Salonika and completed its disembarkation on 4 January 1916.

2 October 1916: the occupation of Mazirko
    31 October 1916: the capture of Barakli Jum'a

15 May 1917: the capture of Ferdie and Essex Trenches (near Barakli Jum'a)
    16 October 1917: the capture of Barakli and Kumli

The Division lost a number of units in mid 1918; they were transferred to France
    18-19 September 1918: the Battle of Doiran
    22-28 September 1918: the pursuit to the Strumica valley

Hostilities with Bulgaria ceased on 30 September, with the Division by then in the area of Trnovo. The Division was ordered in early November to move to Gallipoli to occupy the Dardanelles Forts. On 14 November 85th Brigade arrived at Constantinople and Divisional HQ was established at Chanak

Interestingly he almost certainly took part in the second battle of Ypres where the Hun first used poison gas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Battle_of_Ypres

And he was probably part of the Battle of loos where the British used gas against the Hun

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Loos
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Split 14/15 Star trio Welsh regiment, another Jones   Split 14/15 Star trio Welsh regiment, another Jones  

Split 14/15 Star trio Welsh regiment, another Jones   Split 14/15 Star trio Welsh regiment, another Jones  

Split 14/15 Star trio Welsh regiment, another Jones   Split 14/15 Star trio Welsh regiment, another Jones  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Well done Jerry, it is always a pain when a trio is either split or the BWM has been "melted down" in the past, but it does not detract from the history that the remaining medals hold. Great items that will Speke history for generations to come. Leon.

Thanks Leon.

It is always a shame when these medal groups have been splits, especially if they have been split for scrap value as is probably the case here. As you mention though, the history is still there with just the remaining medals and the information that can be found adds so much to them and makes them so worthwhile to collect and research.
    Regards,

Jerry

Great stuff Jerry, as already mentioned it is a shame the group has been split up but the remaining pieces have certainly found a good home. very nice pick up mate!

Thanks Dave.

As mentioned in the first post I have bids in on another split trio which ends in a few days which I am really keen to pick up if I can. I'll post details in a new thread if I get it.
    Regards,

Jerry

when I was a kid and go into a family friends rag and bone shop,he had piles of the BWM waiting to be melted down.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    when I was a kid and go into a family friends rag and bone shop,he had piles of the BWM waiting to be melted down.
    Sadly all too true, though sometimes they escaped the melting pot. Always a chance the missing bwm will turn up.
    Regards,

Jerry

I now have them at home and they will join my collection of Great war medals, mostly to Welshmen!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Split 14/15 Star trio Welsh regiment, another Jones   Split 14/15 Star trio Welsh regiment, another Jones  

Regards,

Jerry

Very nice Jerry, a great pick up mate.