MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Swagger Sticks?

Article about: Hi guys, Can anyone tell me anything about these Swagger sticks? I've been told they are of WWI vintage but I have no knowledge regarding swagger sticks. I searched the net but was not able

Default Swagger Sticks?

Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me anything about these Swagger sticks? I've been told they are of WWI vintage but I have no knowledge regarding swagger sticks. I searched the net but was not able to find any definitive info on these sticks in particular. Also what would the value of these be? Sorry for the poor photos!

Thanks for the help!

Kirby

Swagger Sticks? Swagger Sticks?

Swagger Sticks? Swagger Sticks?

?

Default Re: Swagger Sticks?

They definitely look like military swagger sticks. Are they US buttons on the end?? And it does look like shells on the pointy end. IMO these may have been privately made. I know the tradition in the Aussie army for Corporals on duty and SGTs swagger sticks, or canes, have a 50 cal csaingt the rear and the rest of the round at the front. Ill post a pic of my cane.

?

They bmore thaqn likely would be WW1, for interests sake here is my cane from when I was in the Army. This is where the term "Corpoal Punishment" comes from, a CPL could strike a soldier 5 times with this cane.

?

heres the pic.

Though swagger sticks are more of an officer thing
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Swagger Sticks?  

US officers carried swagger sticks just as their counterparts in France and Great Britain did. They were still fairly common in the US Army up to the opening days of WW2. My father even knew a Major in the 101st during the Korean War who still routinely carried one. (Mad Major Vaslovic!) The tip does look somewhat like a bullet, but it is not and never was.

Thanks for the info guys! These sticks have an eagle on the end and above the eagle is "USA" the bottom is definitely not from a bullet but rather simple metal tips. Can any one put a value on such a piece? Iv seen similar listed on fleaBay for what I thought was way to much money! Over $100.00! but I really have no idea how to list them for?

Thanks for the help!

Kriby