Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

these items were going to the trash but they were saved

Article about: A lady called and said she had some WWI items that she was going to throw out unless I wanted them, the family had already gone through and took what they wanted. Let me know what you think

Default these items were going to the trash but they were saved

A lady called and said she had some WWI items that she was going to throw out unless I wanted them, the family had already gone through and took what they wanted. Let me know what you think and if you can id the patch

Default Re: these items were going to the trash but they were saved

good save old chap!,,,glad you were able to rescue them,,,

?

I hate to ask but are the grenades deactivated, you,d be surprised how many WW1 pieces of ordnance havent been, a very nice hard felt picklehaub , not all that common nowadays

Well, the grenade doesnt have the pin in it either extremely worrying, or a clue that it might have been emptied. Fantastic items though, nice job saving these , its hard to believe that people are still throwing this stuff out though!

Thanks

Danny

They were Throwing them away?/ And This is what "they left"?? Lordy....one can only imagine what they Kept,if These were consigned to the trash bin! Nice Lot,for Sure! Makes a person want to keep a closer eye on their neighbors Trash,hey? As for the patch,it's abit of a toss-up,as 3 units pretty much used the same insignia. The 35th Infantry(Santa Fe Division)'s 128th+129th Field Artillery Regiments,and the 60th Brigade Field Artillery. The collar badge may give abit more of a clue,but I can't quite make out the lettering beneath the cannons. WWI Division patches weren't all that strictly regulated(if at all) and there are many many variations among them all. Most of the time,if they Resembled the general idea,that was fine enough. To further complicate matters,many of them were actually hand-made,and so,again,vary greatly from patch to patch. It's an Excellent lot,in any case,and if you're Also planning on trash canning it,Send Me an Email First !! lol Good luck! William
    Last edited by Wagriff; 06-15-2011 at 12:05 AM.

The Grenades are de activated and safe. The collar brass reads HQ. What is the picklehaub worth? it is a size 58. I even found a 1903 us Quarter in the pocket.

The picklehaub's Liner looks Excellent,which,in My opinion,is even scarcer than the helmet itself! As for dollar value,these are all over the place,but on a Good day,to the right buyer,maybe...$2-300?(despite it's missing it's cockards and chinstrap,of course),but this is only a guestimate-you should ask "oradour"-he's the expert on these fascinating rabbit fur helmets! William

Great save indeed, and a good score ! It's hard to believe that people
    would throw such historic heirlooms away...............!

First thoughts - the patch is the 35th 'Santa Fe' Division, but I don't
    know the regiment or branch, much like William has said above.
    Regards,

Steve.

?

To prove a point as to what people throw out, my arch enemy and nemesis, a guy who lives down the road, who always beats me to the pick of the crop, pays a visit to our local recycling tip, and walks away with a felt picklehaub in excellent condition and TWO Puma naval daggers with HANGERS, all for £75, i was a day late, ive found out that the guy who runs it, drinks with him in one of the locals, but i have a cunning plan and hope it works, two bottles of Glenfiddig scotch. The annoying thing is, the guy always brings the things he gets to my door and asks if they are real and what they are worth and if i want to buy them, at dealer prices of course, the worm has turned and i will have my revenge

?

The uniform patch is to the 137th Infantry brigade, 35th Division.
    A very nice find indeed. I have always been partial to WWI 35th Division items.
    The 35th was made up of national guard units from Kansas and Missouri.
    Last edited by SteveR; 06-15-2011 at 04:06 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast