Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Translation of this Belgian army document

Article about: Hello everyone, This belongs to a friend, it’s her great grandfather and apparently he was in the Belgian army during WW1. Apart from that she has no other information Can anyone tell me exa

Default Translation of this Belgian army document

Hello everyone,

This belongs to a friend, it’s her grandfathers and apparently he was in the Belgian army during WW1. Apart from that she has no other information

Can anyone tell me exactly what the document is and give me a brief overview or translation of it please,

Any help would be much appreciated,

Kind regards.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Translation of this Belgian army document   Translation of this Belgian army document  

Translation of this Belgian army document   Translation of this Belgian army document  

Last edited by Willmore; 01-19-2020 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Incorrect information.

I am going to suggest that it is an Army ID card. It includes the information one would expect on ID documents of the period such as personal details like service number, rank (Sergeant I think) date of birth, parents names etc as well as the last address of his parents and the soldier himself. Interesting in itself because his "latest address" is Westgate Street in Gloucester (England) which is in the "Old Town" and still exists today.
    The word "Mutations" doesn't mean the same as the English word but I would interpret this as a kind of service history which seems to include units served in and associated appointments.

The section next to the pictures contains his physical description such as ; Height, hair, moustache and beard plus visible dintinguishing marks (this would be the equivalent English term).

That's about as much as I can glean immediately from these pics. My French is not good at all but I know we have native French speakers here so am I close?

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 01-18-2020 at 06:20 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    I am going to suggest that it is an Army ID card. It includes the information one would expect on ID documents of the period such as personal details like service number, rank (Sergeant I think) date of birth, parents names etc as well as the last address of his parents and the soldier himself. Interesting in itself because his "latest address" is Westgate Street in Gloucester (England) which is in the "Old Town" and still exists today.
    The word "Mutations" doesn't mean the same as the English word but I would interpret this as a kind of service history which seems to include units served in and associated appointments.

The section next to the pictures contains his physical description such as ; Height, hair, moustache and beard plus visible dintinguishing marks (this would be the equivalent English term).
    That's about as much as I can glean immediately from these pics. My French is not good at all but I know we have native French speakers here so am I close?

Regards

Mark

Thank you Mark, that’s great information and I really appreciate it.

My friend is from Gloucester too so that address makes sense.

Kind regards,

Will

I'll give it a go after diner!
    cheers
    Kris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Quote by stuka f View Post
    I'll give it a go after diner!
    cheers
    Kris
    brilliant, thanks Kris.

Mark was quiet correct in his message, so here are the details;
    on the left you have his name and parents name.
    The address of his parents was rue de la glaciére St Gilles Brussels.
    He was a professional soldier with the rank of sergeant.
    He joined the army the 24th of march 1911.
    And it is signed by his commanding officer.

cheers
    |<ris

Here is a map showing the still existing street.
    Google Maps

cheers
    |<ris

The right page does indeed gives details about the man.
    He was 1.87 m ( quiet big for the time!), blonde hair, no mustache and had a scar at the bottom of his back down to the right upper leg.
    He is wearing the "M" on his collar meaning he was in a machine gun section.

cheers
    |<ris

Hardest part is his career. I need some time here to understand what it says.

cheers
    |<ris

I seem to understand he was in a hospital early 1918.
    Mid 1918 he went to the 5 th infantry regiment and only then became sergeant.
    But most is very hard to read...
    If I get to know more I'll let you know.

cheers
    |<ris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast