Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

The trunk grouping of Sgt. Fred Kurth of the Reserve Mallet

Article about: A close up of Fred in his AFS unifrom. This photo is interesting to me as it illustrates the American Field Service uniform in transition. Fred is wearing a US made M1917 uniform with French

Default Re: The trunk grouping of Sgt. Fred Kurth of the Reserve Mallet

Quote by Ewan Stirling View Post
    wow what a wonderfull group full of histroy
    Thank you very much Ewan! I appreciate and welcome your comments.

Here are some photos of Fred's helmet. It is a British Mark I.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The trunk grouping of Sgt. Fred Kurth of the Reserve Mallet   The trunk grouping of Sgt. Fred Kurth of the Reserve Mallet  

The trunk grouping of Sgt. Fred Kurth of the Reserve Mallet  

Some sample of American Field Service volunteers in the French T.M.U. Service. The trucks are 5-ton American "Liberty" trucks, sold to the French government.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The trunk grouping of Sgt. Fred Kurth of the Reserve Mallet   The trunk grouping of Sgt. Fred Kurth of the Reserve Mallet  

The trunk grouping of Sgt. Fred Kurth of the Reserve Mallet   The trunk grouping of Sgt. Fred Kurth of the Reserve Mallet  

Tom-
    I guess that bee insignia on the back of the truck would be of French origin??? Interesting...

This is a very impressive grouping. Nice grab!

-Chuck

By the way, I still have a Reserve Mallet uniform set aside for ya. If you don't want it, no big deal. Let me know either way. We could also do some horse trading....

Quote by CThomas View Post
    Tom-
    I guess that bee insignia on the back of the truck would be of French origin??? Interesting...

This is a very impressive grouping. Nice grab!

-Chuck

By the way, I still have a Reserve Mallet uniform set aside for ya. If you don't want it, no big deal. Let me know either way. We could also do some horse trading....
    Hey Chuck,

Yes the "Bee" or "Hornet" insignia on the back of the truck is just that, French. It was common for different TMU sections to paint a unit insignia on their trucks. This practise was adopted by the American volunteer truck drivers as well as most of the ambulance sections of the American Field Service.

Here is a photo of some recently federalized American ambulances from SSU 69/638 showing their "Buffalo" unit insignia.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The trunk grouping of Sgt. Fred Kurth of the Reserve Mallet  

Some photos of the Groupe Robinson unit history from Fred's trunk group.
    Attached Images Attached Images The trunk grouping of Sgt. Fred Kurth of the Reserve Mallet  The trunk grouping of Sgt. Fred Kurth of the Reserve Mallet  The trunk grouping of Sgt. Fred Kurth of the Reserve Mallet  The trunk grouping of Sgt. Fred Kurth of the Reserve Mallet 

No comments or questions????

In all honesty I have to say this is one of the best and most impressive groupings that I have ever seen, especially with the research you did on it Never let any of it be seperated!

Thanks for showing

Danny

Quote by GasMasksUK View Post
    In all honesty I have to say this is one of the best and most impressive groupings that I have ever seen, especially with the research you did on it Never let any of it be seperated!

Thanks for showing

Danny
    Thank you very much for the kind words! I really appreciate it!

A find like this is rarer than a royal flush in poker.have played poker for more than 40 years(off and on) and only caught one.
    Dave h

Quote by SADolch View Post
    A find like this is rarer than a royal flush in poker.have played poker for more than 40 years(off and on) and only caught one.
    Dave h
    Dave, thanks for the kind words! To think this came within a hairs breadth of being broken up on ebay. I also wanted to say thank you for sharing your wonderful collection of rare aviation headgear, I have really enjoyed seeing the photos you've posted. I'd like to expand my collecting interests into more Royal Flying Corps artifacts, but those ambulance volunteers really have me hook, line and sinker!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast