Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Two nice post cards

Article about: Hi, this weekend i found two very nice postcards, both W.W.1, first is a nice French one, Little boy with french Kepi and bayonet, i think depicting the german defeat as the pickelhaub is in

Default Two nice post cards

Hi,
    this weekend i found two very nice postcards, both W.W.1, first is a nice French one,
    Little boy with french Kepi and bayonet, i think depicting the german defeat as the pickelhaub is in the ground, and he is peeing in it,lol. The second i like for the historical value,
    Lt, W.L Robinson VC, titled the wrecked Zeppelin Cuffley 3rd, Sept,1916. i saved them from the scrap heap as they were about to be thrown away. I will research Lt Robinson.
    Dave.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Two nice post cards  

Default Re: Two nice post cards

Hi Dave, glad you saved them!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hi Ade,
    i have had a read up on Lt Robinson, it was the first Zeppelin to be shot down over England he was in the 39th Sqdn
    R.F.C. I found another postcard on the net very much like mine but the men are in a different position, quite pleased with it.
    dave.

I thought I recognised the little "Graine de Poilu", so I looked in my postcard collection and yes, here is his cousin, the 'seed' of a British 'Tommy':

Two nice post cards

This is actually from the same "PATRIOTIC" set of French-made cards. My one was actually sent by a British soldier to his sister in London:

Two nice post cards

Rob

Hi Rob,
    sorry i didnt get back to you iv just seen your card great to see it, i like your one better for some reason perhaps because it,s British or something. i really would lke to get some more so im going to search around for them to make some kind of collection. i got mine in our local market it was going to be thrown away, I asked if i could have a look in the
    box and came out with these two. Thanks for putting yours on i didnt know there was a set of them.
    regards Dave.

Quote by Panzer 3 View Post
    Hi Rob,
    sorry i didnt get back to you iv just seen your card great to see it, i like your one better for some reason perhaps because it,s British or something. i really would lke to get some more so im going to search around for them to make some kind of collection. i got mine in our local market it was going to be thrown away, I asked if i could have a look in the
    box and came out with these two. Thanks for putting yours on i didnt know there was a set of them.
    regards Dave.
    I like this kind of material too.

I am only assuming it's a set from the 'PATRIOTIC' markings, but most postcards in that era were produced that way. There is definitely a huge collecting possibility out there though. I have had that card since the 1980s, and probably bought it in Cornwall somewhere (I grew up in St Day, just outside Redruth, from age 10-18).

I still have a fair amount of postcards from that era, although not as many as I used too. They range from the patriotic, through the sentimental to the ones that are just funny. The most famous ones are probably by Bamforth, a Yorkshire company who made the most sickeningly sentimental sets, usually centred around a poem or song. One verse of the poem/song would be printed on each, along with some artwork, and of course, during WWI, they cashed in on the war and produced cards that were, more often than not, a woman pining for her man or son who had either gone away to war, or been killed or whatever. Very collectable and great stuff

If you want some more, I can post some (no Bamforth though, my mother has all those)

Rob