Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

U.S. WWI Wool Tunic (and a really cool fork)

Article about: We still do that with WWII mess kits! lol

Default U.S. WWI Wool Tunic (and a really cool fork)

Hi guys,

I have finally pulled myself out of my militaria drought. As such, I did some antiquing yesterday and picked up this tunic. It's a pretty basic tunic. It's missing the bottom front button, as well as the collar insignia. If anyone has or knows where I can find said missing insignia for an inexpensive price, please let me know! I have always wanted one of these to add to my collection.

I also found this fork, but on a seperate occasion a couple of weeks ago. I love this thing. It's dated 1917 with what looks like a stylized 'WE' on the back. On the front, it is marked '16', 'HQTRS' and 'Henry'. I am pretty sure that the markings indicate that this belonged to a (last name) Henry of the Headquarters Company of the 16th Infantry Regiment. This unit was the first U.S. regiment to see combat against the Germans, I believe.

Anyway, enjoy gentlemen. If you have anything to add, please do! Does anyone know where I might be able to find a name, date, or maker on the tunic?

Mo
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U.S. WWI Wool Tunic (and a really cool fork)   U.S. WWI Wool Tunic (and a really cool fork)  

U.S. WWI Wool Tunic (and a really cool fork)   U.S. WWI Wool Tunic (and a really cool fork)  

U.S. WWI Wool Tunic (and a really cool fork)   U.S. WWI Wool Tunic (and a really cool fork)  

Last edited by ObKrieger; 06-09-2013 at 12:23 AM.

Default Re: U.S. WWI Wool Tunic (and a really cool fork)

Here one I found in Meuse Argonne next to the river.
    The tunic are getting pricey always a good one to have.
    Check Ebay you should be able to find some there.
    chris

I think unit markings on forks are the bee's knees. I'm not sure why. lol

Thanks for showing yours Chris!

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    I think unit markings on forks are the bee's knees. I'm not sure why. lol

Thanks for showing yours Chris!
    It sure makes them more collectable that is for sure.
    Thank you
    chris

?

Tunic is nice minus the damage probably tailor made, the fork is cool I have never seen one like it

Bay State Militaria has a nice assortment of metal collar insignia, at dealer prices I suppose. Or if you're not in a hurry you could shop around eBay and such. I am growing a soft spot for WWI uniforms. I'm picking up more and more sets, but trying to limit myself to veteran identified groupings, especially with a photo or AEF ID card. Chris is right, they are going up in price and I predict a jump in the next few years. Just an amateur prediction

Quote by helmetone View Post
    Bay State Militaria has a nice assortment of metal collar insignia, at dealer prices I suppose. Or if you're not in a hurry you could shop around eBay and such. I am growing a soft spot for WWI uniforms. I'm picking up more and more sets, but trying to limit myself to veteran identified groupings, especially with a photo or AEF ID card. Chris is right, they are going up in price and I predict a jump in the next few years. Just an amateur prediction
    I know, me too! I don't know what it is! I have nevere really had an interest in WWI stuff until recently. It was such a pointless war. It kind of gives you a weird feeling- "Why does this even exist?"

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    I know, me too! I don't know what it is! I have nevere really had an interest in WWI stuff until recently. It was such a pointless war. It kind of gives you a weird feeling- "Why does this even exist?"
    Bay State also has pants from time to time if you need to add a pair. Not always the quickest to respond to emails, but they ship priority so you get it pretty fast. The pants will look something like this

No division insignia on the shoulder?

I had a mild interest in WWI until I grabbed my first grouping which came with the dog tags, shirt and all. I got hooked after that. I really love their crude but fancy construction. The rough, itchy wool and high collar. They couldn't have been comfortable to wear. Snatch them up while they are still somewhat cheap!

I would love a matching helmet and tunic set. Mine doesn't have any insignia, but neither does my helmet, so it works out.

Love the fork !

In 1997 I was in Pennsylvania for the Military Vehicle Preservation Association's
    International Convention, where many of the campers ate from original mess
    kits and utensil - whether they were re-enactors or not.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast