Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Universal Pattern UP Saddle

Article about: I've run across an interesting saddle with a broad arrow C insignia. I'm not a saddle guy but I really like the look of it and the price is right (i think). asking \\$ 90. It's not complete bu

?

Default Universal Pattern UP Saddle

I've run across an interesting saddle with a broad arrow C insignia. I'm not a saddle guy but I really like the look of it and the price is right (i think). asking $ 90. It's not complete but pretty close, some dried out leather but very restorable in my view. Missing the padding under one swivel tree. I'm not certain if its a 1902 or 1912 swivel or fixed tree version. looking for some guidance as to whether it's worth buying or is it junk. forgive the quality of the photos. If i buy it i'll post new hd pics.. Thanks for your feedback.Universal Pattern UP SaddleUniversal Pattern UP SaddleUniversal Pattern UP SaddleUniversal Pattern UP SaddleUniversal Pattern UP Saddle

NCA
    ?

At that price i'd buy it in a heartbeat...but then I am after one.Probably a fairly easy resto job.

Nice.

Nice 1912 pattern saddle for the money (the canvas webbing under the seat wasn't present on the 1902 pattern). If you do decide to get it and restore it beware of any white powdery residue on the leather, it could be arsenic as this was used in the tanning process of these WD saddles and does start to leach out over the years as they dry out. It may just be dried saddle soap, but I wouldn't take the chance so would advise you take precautions with handling it during cleaning by wearing gloves and maybe even a mask if the dust gets airborne. Better safe than sorry!

It's missing one of it's Numnah pads by the look of it, but the remaining one is an original early industrial wool felt one, and not a later post WW2 type, as these saddles were still being used up until the 70's by both British and Commonwealth armies.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Default UP 1912 Saddle

ok, so I bought the UP saddle, cleaned it up a bit........better pics this time. Thanks for your help on this one gents, your comments were very helpful.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Universal Pattern UP Saddle   Universal Pattern UP Saddle  

Universal Pattern UP Saddle   Universal Pattern UP Saddle  

Universal Pattern UP Saddle   Universal Pattern UP Saddle  

It's a UP 1902 fixed tree not a UP 1912 swivel. The UP1912 had brass swivel posts on the boards as it was a one size fits all whilst the boards on the 1902 were fixed. I believe there were three sizes of front arch with the UP 1902 pattern saddle. An easy way to tell is if the boards move it's a 1912 if they are ridged then a 1902.