Become our sponsor and display your banner here

US DSC W/serial number.

Article about: Guy's this group is from a family member who was unable to provide any information about them. Would appreciate your opinion. Thanks, Hal

Hal
    ?

Default US DSC W/serial number.

Guy's this group is from a family member who was unable to provide any information about them. Would appreciate your opinion. Thanks, Hal
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0003.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	39843   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0004.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	39844  

Attached Images Attached Images    

Default Re: US DSC W/serial number.

I don't know if you realize it or not, but what you have is quite significant, even though the cross is in the rough condition. If I am seeing '3003', then that DSC should be a traceable number. I say should because within the range of identifiable DSC's (1-8000~approx~) there always seems to be a number run within these blocks that fall off of the radar. I can put you in contact with someone who has a listing of recipients.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Quote by Hal View Post
    Guy's this group is from a family member who was unable to provide any information about them. Would appreciate your opinion. Thanks, Hal

This is a WW1 period strike. If I am reading this right the number is 3003. That number is assigned to Sgt Harry Linden, H/308 Inf, Brooklyn, NY.

If the number is 3008 it unfortunately falls into those 6 numbered DSC's that were not issued during the war. The issued medals for whatever reason stopped at 3005 and resumed at 3011.

Terry

Hal
    ?

Hi Steven and Terry, I do not have the medal in hand but I believe the number is 3008. I appreciate your help and information. Thanks, Hal

Quote by Hal View Post
    Hi Steven and Terry, I do not have the medal in hand but I believe the number is 3008. I appreciate your help and information. Thanks, Hal
    Yes, it is indeed 3008. I blew it up to 400% magnification and could see it quite clearly. Your luck sounds like mine...it would have to be in that very small number range... Still, it is a nice piece.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Yes, still a nice piece, as Steven M says ! !
    And pretty rare just the same...........

Great find !

Regards,

Steve W.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Yes, still a nice piece, as Steven M says ! !
    And pretty rare just the same...........

Great find !

Regards,

Steve W.
    Any WW1 numbered DSC is extremely rare issued or not. I noticed one comment as to condition. I didn't think that it was in bad condition at all. A little wear to the chest of the eagle but no major flaws. All in all a really nice find and one worthy of any collection of US military medals.

Terry

Quote by hawk3370 View Post
    Any WW1 numbered DSC is extremely rare issued or not. I noticed one comment as to condition. I didn't think that it was in bad condition at all. A little wear to the chest of the eagle but no major flaws. All in all a really nice find and one worthy of any collection of US military medals.

Terry
    Quite right Major. Maybe "rough" was a little much in my description and was in reference to the ribbon being separated from the cross. However, I wouldn't turn it down, that is for sure.

BTW...am I correct in saying that the soldered ring is a characteristic of early pieces? I have notices this on another early one as well.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]