Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

US Marking Outfit for Stamping Metal

Article about: Just wanted to share this cool item I recently received from a local fella who found it in his barn alongside a WWII USMC corpsman’s knife. For those who haven’t seeen it before, it’s called

Default US Marking Outfit for Stamping Metal

Just wanted to share this cool item I recently received from a local fella who found it in his barn alongside a WWII USMC corpsman’s knife.

For those who haven’t seeen it before, it’s called a “Marking Outfit for Stamping Metal” - the tiny anvil included has forms for cutlery, ration tins, and dog tags. The white circular decal shows the proper layout for Stamping my dog tags. The whole kit is nice and compact only 8 inches long side. Happy it’s complete!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Marking Outfit for Stamping Metal   US Marking Outfit for Stamping Metal  

US Marking Outfit for Stamping Metal   US Marking Outfit for Stamping Metal  

US Marking Outfit for Stamping Metal  

?

That's really cool! Great item and I bet a hard-to-find, especially complete.

Tom

Quote by hftiii View Post
    That's really cool! Great item and I bet a hard-to-find, especially complete.

Tom
    Thanks Tom! Prior to this I had not seen one; note sure how desirable or scarce they are. The ones I’ve seen online which sold in the past have quite a range in prices. But for $20 cannot go wrong haha

MAP
    ?

Uber cool.

I'd try to find some blank tags and go to town making some!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Excellent find, something I'd love in my collection!

Very nice!!! I’ve got some blank dog tags that need to be filled out LOL. Great item!!!

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Nice Complete set Matt!

I have bought and sold about five of these sets over the past 20 years. When it comes to price range these have pretty much averaged $100 or so with price really not changing.

One of the things I find interesting with these sets is their weight, they are deceptively heavy 6+ pounds for an item that is the size of an average construction brick.

even though I have owned a few i have many times forgotten the heaft of the set and ended up mishandling them at least 2 times i have fumbled one from waist height and thank god it never landed on my foot as it would cause great trauma

I have looked for blanks on and off never finding a source for them only found one or 2 partial ones- maybe someone here knows where i can get some

I have used the stamps for marking all kinds of stuff

The craziest thing to me is you have to strike the stamp with the midget hammer provided, and if you dont get the strike exactly right and alignment you ruin the tag. I am sure that with practice back in the day whoever was making them for a unit ect was in good practice but i cant imagine more the 10-20 tags and hour, it would be a nightmare.

That's a great item to get for $20, would also love to own my own example. Other examples I have seen to do always have the lid so clearly marked as yours. Great find.

Quote by MAP View Post
    Uber cool.

I'd try to find some blank tags and go to town making some!
    Haha great idea! Might be good to add some for display even in the least!

Quote by GeneralPutnam View Post
    Nice Complete set Matt!

I have bought and sold about five of these sets over the past 20 years. When it comes to price range these have pretty much averaged $100 or so with price really not changing.

One of the things I find interesting with these sets is their weight, they are deceptively heavy 6+ pounds for an item that is the size of an average construction brick.

even though I have owned a few i have many times forgotten the heaft of the set and ended up mishandling them at least 2 times i have fumbled one from waist height and thank god it never landed on my foot as it would cause great trauma

I have looked for blanks on and off never finding a source for them only found one or 2 partial ones- maybe someone here knows where i can get some

I have used the stamps for marking all kinds of stuff

The craziest thing to me is you have to strike the stamp with the midget hammer provided, and if you dont get the strike exactly right and alignment you ruin the tag. I am sure that with practice back in the day whoever was making them for a unit ect was in good practice but i cant imagine more the 10-20 tags and hour, it would be a nightmare.
    Amazing info! Thanks m8! And you’re totally right, that little box has quite some weight to it. I’ll definitely be trying to track some blanks down but as has been said I imagine quite scarce.

Such an interesting piece. Easy to imagine some bloke in the trenches or perhaps rear areas hammering away with the little mallet. One of those small items that played a big role in day to day existence in WWI.