Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Various Articles belonging to Captain J W Lyon 233845 (Image Heavy)

Article about: Hi All I recently purchased at Auction a collection of items belonging to a Captain J W Lyon 233845. When we got the purchase home we found it contained a lot more bits than we though and no

Default Various Articles belonging to Captain J W Lyon 233845 (Image Heavy)

Hi All
    I recently purchased at Auction a collection of items belonging to a Captain J W Lyon 233845. When we got the purchase home we found it contained a lot more bits than we though and not being an expert on WWI I thought I would post some pictures here in the hope someone can provide a little detail on the items, and perhaps some values. I find it very interesting that these all belonged to one person who so being a little more personal. From the little research I have done already and from the various insignia and cap badges in the lot it seems Caption Lyon served with the Royal Artillery during WWI and then went on to serve with the London Scottish in WWII up to 1941 when he was retired out due to age. Any info on the items below would be fascinating.
    Chris

Various Articles belonging to Captain J W Lyon 233845 (Image Heavy)Various Articles belonging to Captain J W Lyon 233845 (Image Heavy)Various Articles belonging to Captain J W Lyon 233845 (Image Heavy)Various Articles belonging to Captain J W Lyon 233845 (Image Heavy)Various Articles belonging to Captain J W Lyon 233845 (Image Heavy)Various Articles belonging to Captain J W Lyon 233845 (Image Heavy)Various Articles belonging to Captain J W Lyon 233845 (Image Heavy)Various Articles belonging to Captain J W Lyon 233845 (Image Heavy)Various Articles belonging to Captain J W Lyon 233845 (Image Heavy)Various Articles belonging to Captain J W Lyon 233845 (Image Heavy)Various Articles belonging to Captain J W Lyon 233845 (Image Heavy)Various Articles belonging to Captain J W Lyon 233845 (Image Heavy)Various Articles belonging to Captain J W Lyon 233845 (Image Heavy)Various Articles belonging to Captain J W Lyon 233845 (Image Heavy)Various Articles belonging to Captain J W Lyon 233845 (Image Heavy)Various Articles belonging to Captain J W Lyon 233845 (Image Heavy)Various Articles belonging to Captain J W Lyon 233845 (Image Heavy)Various Articles belonging to Captain J W Lyon 233845 (Image Heavy)Various Articles belonging to Captain J W Lyon 233845 (Image Heavy)Various Articles belonging to Captain J W Lyon 233845 (Image Heavy)Various Articles belonging to Captain J W Lyon 233845 (Image Heavy)Various Articles belonging to Captain J W Lyon 233845 (Image Heavy)Various Articles belonging to Captain J W Lyon 233845 (Image Heavy)Various Articles belonging to Captain J W Lyon 233845 (Image Heavy)

Welcome to the forum. Its an exceptionally interesting and fairly valuable collection, but most members here are reluctant to get into giving values, not least because its quiet difficult!

Obviously you need to be sure that the explosive ordnance shown here is safe.

Of particular interest to me is the Stokes mortar bomb (between the binoculars and gloves pictures) which is rare in this condition.

There is also a nice brass eagle plate from a German Pickelhaube spiked helmet, though these are common.

There is a very good (and quiet rare) raw edged Brodie helmet with painted badge to the front, which would certainly interest many collectors.

Also a good 1918 dated Mills bomb (hand grenade).

Military binoculars are common and have only moderate value, but you have two good pairs here.

There is also a nice officers Sam Brown leather belt and holster set, again quiet common.

And a nice German ZsumWM graze fuze from a 17cm or 25cm Minenwerfer mortar, quiet rare in this condition.

A fine collection. The helmet is very good with the insignia though I am not sure it is for the RA though it is a WWI issue. Badge looks more likely to be RE or a fusilier regiment perhaps, but maybe mortar bombers might use this design. Things like the gloves can be quite desirable as they do not survive, but like Douglas says, putting values on items is not easy and most are not willing to do so. If you are intending to sell any of it, work out what each item cost you and add on a % to make a sensible profit. Otherwise try searching ebay and any online dealers sites you can find and see what sort of money they are asking for similar items and then you can ask for something near the market value, but remember that dealers have overheads and need to keep lots of items in stock and therefore will ask for more than private sellers would ask.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thank you for the quick replies, actually going through the various badges in the collection there are Fusilier cap badges so my guess at RA is probably wrong, it has Capt Lyon RA on the Ammo box.

Jerry, the flaming grenade symbol was indeed worn but Royal Artillery officers. I have several RA officers jackets from WW1 with these devices as collar badges.

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    Jerry, the flaming grenade symbol was indeed worn but Royal Artillery officers. I have several RA officers jackets from WW1 with these devices as collar badges.
    Indeed Douglas, as a collar, but not as a cap or helmet badge in WWI as far as I am aware, though in WWII they did switch over to the flaming grenade badge except perhaps in the case of bombers!

I also have an RA officers uniform with Flaming Grenade collars, though mine is WWII in date.
    Regards,

Jerry

Yes, I see you are quiet right Jerry, thanks for that.

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    Yes, I see you are quiet right Jerry.
    I might be wrong Douglas, as always I am offering an opinion, but it is still only an opinion and also who knows what an individual officer chose to do and of course the assumption is that all the items were the officers own and not stuff he picked up over the years or were added to the box by someone else at a later date.

A very nice helmet regardless of to which unit it was for and I am sure there will be plenty of buyers out there for it.
    Regards,

Jerry