Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

VC Winners signatures !!

Article about: Having finally scanned them i thought i'd post a few of the WW1 VC Winners signatures that are in my collection !! Starting with Bill Coltman 6th Bn North Staffs , VC , DCM and Bar , MM and

I have only just seen this thread for some reason I missed it when it was started.

I am always interested to read anything of such heroes who amount to so much more than the footballer or pop star that seem to be todays heroes!

I have seen Adlams VC in the Guildhall in Salisbury, Wiltshire from where he originated.

My adopted county of Wiltshire (I am a proud Lancastrian by birth but the Army kind of dropped me off here!) has another VC hero in Sgt Maurice ROGERS VC MM (Anzio 1944) who has a road named after him (on an industrial estate FFS!) and it amazes me that most of those who are Wiltshire born and bred have never heard of either of them!

People need to be reminded of things I suppose.

Thanks for posting.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Signature of Cpl. Issy Smith VC
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	3 
Size:	150.4 KB 
ID:	949796  

Letter to brather and signatures on photos of Fred Barter VC
    George Cross miniature medal set
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	9 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	949797  

Just out of curiosity but what are the prices like for VC signatures? I'm always surprised when Allied items are compared to similar Third Reich items and the sometimes vast differences in prices.
    A while back I remember seeing a Royal Navy jacket for an officer who served aboard HMS Hood (and had left it sometime before her final voyage) and it was selling for just a couple of hundred pounds. And I couldn't help thinking that if that tunic was the equivalent from a German officer who had served on Bismarck it would of cost so much more.

Quote by Chrissy Edwards View Post
    Hi I am William Coltman great granddaughter great to see so much intrested in him.
    Welcome Chrissy your Great Grandfather was an extraordinary soldier !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12