Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Victorian Artillery Tunic

Article about: Hi, I Bought this Tunic a while ago at a military fair for the princely sum of £30. As far as I can tell it must be of some age as its lined with a sort of cotton material and is all hand st

Default Victorian Artillery Tunic

Hi, I Bought this Tunic a while ago at a military fair for the princely sum of £30. As far as I can tell it must be of some age as its lined with a sort of cotton material and is all hand stitched. To begin with I thought it might be some sort of First World War dress tunic, but from what I know the buttons are not the standard Royal artillery type. I have seem tunics similar to these before but in different colours, however it does look to be of the same era in the way it is cut in my opinion. However These are just guesses as I do not know am awful lot about Tunics of that era.

As always If anybody has any ideas on this one they would be well revived as I'm stuck to be honest
    Thanks Stan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Victorian Artillery Tunic   Victorian Artillery Tunic  

Victorian Artillery Tunic   Victorian Artillery Tunic  

Victorian Artillery Tunic  

Looks more like Royal army ordnance corps!...

I think Gunny's right.

Ah, that's interesting, I was only presuming RA from the fact it has the cannon symbol, but that would make sense, Thanks for the information Gunny

That would also probably mean that it is post WW1 as the RAOC was formed in 1918 as far as I'm aware. Although I haven't seen dress uniforms like that after WW1 ?

Quote by The Boy In Battle Dress View Post
    That would also probably mean that it is post WW1 as the RAOC was formed in 1918 as far as I'm aware. Although I haven't seen dress uniforms like that after WW1 ?
    Maybe a mess uniform jacket?....

You could be right there, aren't Mess Dress usually more like tail coat kind of things. (Haha Just realised how difficult it is to describe a mess dress jacket)

Certainly Ordnance corps, but not in my book of army buttons, so not sure whose ordnance corps. Kings crown so post 1900 and pre 53 if British, but I can't quite read the writing at the bottom of the button, I can make out the first word is ordnance, but the rest is not clear. The shape of the shield is not correct for British either, so maybe S African perhaps, or other.

Can't go wrong for £30, but it would be cool to work it out.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Certainly Ordnance corps, but not in my book of army buttons, so not sure whose ordnance corps. Kings crown so post 1900 and pre 53 if British, but I can't quite read the writing at the bottom of the button, I can make out the first word is ordnance, but the rest is not clear. The shape of the shield is not correct for British either, so maybe S African perhaps, or other.

Can't go wrong for £30, but it would be cool to work it out.
    Jerry to the rescue!...

Not Canadian as they have RCOC on the scroll!...
    Think i've got it i think the scroll says "ordnance India" but the A on the end of India is barely visible!...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast