Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW.I british officers sword. 3rd Lancashire Artillery Volunteers

Article about: Hi, I have just picked up this sword which I presume is a WW.1 British officers sword. Its not in bad condition although it could do with a clean and most of the wire to the grip has gone. I

Default WW.I british officers sword. 3rd Lancashire Artillery Volunteers

Hi,
    I have just picked up this sword which I presume is a WW.1 British officers sword. Its not in bad condition although it could do with a clean and most of the wire to the grip has gone. I know nothing about British swords but had not encountered one for the 3rd Lancashire Artlillery Volunteers. I don't know if this makes it a scarce desirable piece or one of hundreds and of little collectors value. If anyone knows about such swords please get in touch as it would be nice to know a little about it.
    D
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW.I british officers sword. 3rd Lancashire Artillery Volunteers   WW.I british officers sword. 3rd Lancashire Artillery Volunteers  

WW.I british officers sword. 3rd Lancashire Artillery Volunteers   WW.I british officers sword. 3rd Lancashire Artillery Volunteers  

WW.I british officers sword. 3rd Lancashire Artillery Volunteers   WW.I british officers sword. 3rd Lancashire Artillery Volunteers  

WW.I british officers sword. 3rd Lancashire Artillery Volunteers  

Nice sword, and though not something I collect it is earlier than WWI, probably Victorian in date. A British sword collector will be along sooner or later, or someone who can search for the date for it. The unit was in existence as the 3rd Lancashire Artillery Volunteers [1st East Lancashire Artillery] 1860-1921 and would have been a militia unit at some stage before becoming a Territorial force unit I assume.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

It certainly is a Volunteer Officers sword and I would very much expect it to have a crown and Royal Cypher on the blade which would help with dating. This is the Victorian crown and cypher on my volunteers sword, which of course means that it was made before 1901. Clearly if your sword has a kings crown then we can be sure its 20th century, and hopefully we can see which king it was.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW.I british officers sword. 3rd Lancashire Artillery Volunteers  

Thanks for the info so far and hope this picture helps further.
    all the best,
    D
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW.I british officers sword. 3rd Lancashire Artillery Volunteers  

Yes that's a Victorian crown, so based on what Jerry said we can narrow this to 1860-1901.

Blimey, Victorian!!! does that make it more desirable than if it were WW.1. I really have no idea if this is a good sword with regards to collectability or value. Does anyone out there collect Lancashire Victorian swords?
    Thanks once again.
    D

I haven't noticed much difference in value between Victorian and ww1 period swords, they are certainly collectable but not uncommon and the value will be modest. It's a nice sword though.

It depends how many swords survive for the unit and of course for bladed weapons, condition is a big factor in value.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

The blade is in good condition, not mint but still very presentable. I just need someone with an interest in this area now to be interested in it. I must not allow myself to be sidetracked into other areas.
    D

I’m incredibly, incredibly late to this thread, but if you’re still active on here Jersey did you end up selling the sword? I might be interested if you still have it around, I collect swords, live in Lancashire and wouldn’t mind a local volunteer unit sabre.

Jordan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast