Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW I bugle!!???

Article about: Hi all Bought this brass and copper bugle at a charity shop...as I liked the look of it... and it works great!!! but its not not my area of expertise!!! so the Question is... not is it a rep

Default WW I bugle!!???

Hi all

Bought this brass and copper bugle at a charity shop...as I liked the look of it... and it works great!!! but its not not my area of expertise!!!
    so the Question is... not is it a repro..as it most likely is...but its about the badge mounted on it!!??
    dated 1916... and with a star atop a sword in a crescent moon!!!?????
    is it made to look like any particular regiment??

Or is it made up fantasy piece!!???

thanks...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW I bugle!!???   WW I bugle!!???  

Sadly yes it is a common modern fake. These are all over ebay and flea markets. Real period military bugles should have a makers mark and date. The badge is not one I have seen and is almost certainly a fantasy .
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Nice curio if it was cheap.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Sadly yes it is a common modern fake. These are all over ebay and flea markets. Real period military bugles should have a makers mark and date. The badge is not one I have seen and is almost certainly a fantasy .
    I tend to agree here. Also the quality is far too low as well. As for the badge, it is certainly Pakistani in design and modern Pakistani Army badges follow this pattern of Crescent Moon under a star usually with a scroll at the bottom. The regimental difference would be in the central motif. In this case the sword would possibly indicate infantry but could easily indicate justice etc in any case I can't say what it is trying to be but it sure does look wrong as Jerry says. Apart from anything else it bears the date 1916 at which time Pakistan was still part of British India (Independance was 1947 and Pakistan became a sovereign state later the same year) so this would be a modern Pakistan style device with a date from the British period. Unlikely I think unless the year was otherwise relevant.

There is a huge industry in Pakistan in Sialkot amongst other places churning out tons of "militaria" like this.

Hope you didn't pay much for it.

Just my thoughts as I am no expert concerning this area.

Regards

Mark

The markings on a genuine bugle. This one is to the 1st Volunteer Battalion, the Buffs. More often than not, if the bugle has a badge soldered to it, then it is likely to be a fake. There is a website dedicated to exposing these fakes - some of which would fool many collectors. I can't remember the name of it off-hand, but it is something like... The Canadian Anglo Boer War Museum.

WW I bugle!!???