Ww1 american red cross nurses uniform set

Article about: I wanted to show this recent purchase which i really like, however the material has a type of dry rot and is fragile . The fibres can be torn by finger pressure alone and the lining is shred

Default Ww1 american red cross nurses uniform set

I wanted to show this recent purchase which i really like, however the material has a type of dry rot and is fragile . The fibres can be torn by finger pressure alone and the lining is shredded from rot. I hope to patch from inside to reinforce but need proffesional advice.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1777.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	223.7 KB 
ID:	564740   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1783.jpg 
Views:	4353 
Size:	224.6 KB 
ID:	564739  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1780.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	246.4 KB 
ID:	564738   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1779.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	237.0 KB 
ID:	564737  

Its not too bad at present , but glueing patches from inside may cause the material to go brittle ? i suppose i need a natural water soluble glue .
    Last edited by Rob truscott; 09-05-2013 at 03:33 PM.

A wonderful uniform Rob, but a shame it is falling apart. It might be best to try a professional tailor or perhaps the conservation department of your local museum or University archaeology department.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

There is a netting used by museums to reinforce textiles. You might do a net search for conservation supplies.
    Do not keep on a hanger. Lay the item flat. Make rolls of unbleached muslin with a 1" diameter and place them inside the garment so that there are not creases in the fabric.