Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Ww1 american red cross nurses uniform set

Article about: I wanted to show this recent purchase which i really like, however the material has a type of dry rot and is fragile . The fibres can be torn by finger pressure alone and the lining is shred

Default Ww1 american red cross nurses uniform set

I wanted to show this recent purchase which i really like, however the material has a type of dry rot and is fragile . The fibres can be torn by finger pressure alone and the lining is shredded from rot. I hope to patch from inside to reinforce but need proffesional advice.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ww1 american red cross nurses uniform set   Ww1 american red cross nurses uniform set  

Ww1 american red cross nurses uniform set   Ww1 american red cross nurses uniform set  

Its not too bad at present , but glueing patches from inside may cause the material to go brittle ? i suppose i need a natural water soluble glue .
    Last edited by Rob truscott; 09-05-2013 at 02:33 PM.

A wonderful uniform Rob, but a shame it is falling apart. It might be best to try a professional tailor or perhaps the conservation department of your local museum or University archaeology department.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

There is a netting used by museums to reinforce textiles. You might do a net search for conservation supplies.
    Do not keep on a hanger. Lay the item flat. Make rolls of unbleached muslin with a 1" diameter and place them inside the garment so that there are not creases in the fabric.