Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Artillery wheels?

Article about: Gents, A set of 2 of these old hard rubber tires marked "HIGHWAY" turned up. Seller said they came off off a WW1 cannon. Anyone familiar with these? Best Regards, Bob

Default WW1 Artillery wheels?

Gents,
    A set of 2 of these old hard rubber tires marked "HIGHWAY" turned up. Seller said they came off off a WW1 cannon. Anyone familiar with these?
    Best Regards,
    Bob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Artillery wheels?   WW1 Artillery wheels?  

Hi Bob,

They look more likely to me to be from an old tractor, early lorry/truck or even a steam wagon rather than military, the "Highway" marking seems more commercial than military in my opinion.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Default WW1 Artillery wheels?

With my limited to none knowledge of vintage wheels, here's my 2 cents worth............

I'm not sure what size your wheels are but they look similar to the AEF Liberty Truck wheels, although yours are 5 spoke vs the 7 in the picture.

WW1 Artillery wheels?

The tractor below was originally used to haul heavy guns and later to anchor and winch balloons, also AEF WW1 vintage. Same number of spokes but I think quite a bit bigger than your wheels.

WW1 Artillery wheels?