Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 belt buckle?

Article about: Today in a junk shop in Ayvaliik, on the north Aegean coast of Turkey, I bought a very old belt buckle.(two photos attached) I noticed afterwards that it had the name Harrison hand-engraved

carolinefo
    ?

Default WW1 belt buckle?

Today in a junk shop in Ayvaliik, on the north Aegean coast of Turkey, I bought a very old belt buckle.(two photos attached) I noticed afterwards that it had the name Harrison hand-engraved on the back of it. Obviously, in Turkey, this name would be out of place. Ayvalik is along the coast from Gallipoli. It occurred to me that the buckle might have belonged to a soldier killed at Gallipoli. I googled Harrison/Gallipoli and found details of an Anzac soldier called Philip Henry Harrison, who was killed at Gallipoli in August 1915, and whose body was never found.

In order to check whether this is just an unfounded flight of fancy, I've been trying to find images of what Anzac belt buckles would have looked like in WW1, and came across this site. Can anyone tell me if this object is in fact a belt buckle, or from some other piece of military equipment? It looks quite similar to a Sam Browne buckle, but is obviously not the same. I would be very grateful if anyone could help me identify this object.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 belt buckle?   WW1 belt buckle?  

Default Re: WW1 belt buckle?

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

It is not an item I recognise at all. Not a military Anzac buckle to the best of my knowledge.

Cheers, Ade.

carolinefo
    ?

thanks very much - at least that eliminates one possibility! It's driving me crazy trying to work out what it is.. a friend thinks it might be part of a saddle or bridle.

..and the name...as I see it; is probably the manufacturer.
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

BarceBandit
    ?

June 9th.
    This is not a military buckle at all ,it is a buckle that comes with the old Griswold Sock machine, the hinged part holds the beginning of the sock and a weight is hung onto the loop to pull the fabric down.
    My Grandmother in WW1 had a batch of these machines to produce 'Army Greys', I recently repaierd on of these Griswold machines for the local museum.
    See buckle I have just scanned.
    Hope this answers your question!
    Attached Images Attached Images WW1 belt buckle?  WW1 belt buckle? 

Quote by BarceBandit View Post
    June 9th.
    This is not a military buckle at all ,it is a buckle that comes with the old Griswold Sock machine, the hinged part holds the beginning of the sock and a weight is hung onto the loop to pull the fabric down.
    My Grandmother in WW1 had a batch of these machines to produce 'Army Greys', I recently repaierd on of these Griswold machines for the local museum.
    See buckle I have just scanned.
    Hope this answers your question!
    Wow,,you just never know what your gonna find out here!