Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ww1 British binoculars?

Article about: Spotted these at my local antique shop . Thought they looked a bit to out of place to be civilian. My question is are these ww1 British binoculars? Sorry in advance for the photos being on t

?

Default Ww1 British binoculars?

Spotted these at my local antique shop . Thought they looked a bit to out of place to be civilian. My question is are these ww1 British binoculars? Sorry in advance for the photos being on their side Ww1 British binoculars?Ww1 British binoculars?Ww1 British binoculars?Ww1 British binoculars?

Look more typical of the type used during the Boer war though they were also used into the great war.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Thanks . So its more then likely army issued than civilian?

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    Thanks . So its more then likely army issued than civilian?
    The marking MKV special suggest military issue. The highly polished brass work was probably done by an overzealous owner post military use.
    Regards,

Jerry

A lot of civilian binoculars were issued to the army during WWI including both British and French civvy sets.

I have a few sets of Boer war and Great war used binoculars, including French and British types.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ww1 British binoculars?   Ww1 British binoculars?  

Ww1 British binoculars?   Ww1 British binoculars?  

Ww1 British binoculars?  
    Regards,

Jerry

?

That’s pretty neat. Thanks

The WW1 civilian binoculars used by the military usually has an 'S' number imprinted on the barrels. The two 'civvy' pairs I have are marked: 'S 4' with the crows foot underneath. The 'S' number is a grading of the optics, the better the glass the lower the number. S 4 are regarded as second grade, and S 1 are the finest optics.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    The WW1 civilian binoculars used by the military usually has an 'S' number imprinted on the barrels. The two 'civvy' pairs I have are marked: 'S 4' with the crows foot underneath. The 'S' number is a grading of the optics, the better the glass the lower the number. S 4 are regarded as second grade, and S 1 are the finest optics.
    Indeed Steve,

one of the French sets I own (shown earlier) have S2 on them as well as broad arrows and sold out of service markings on both them and their case.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ww1 British binoculars?   Ww1 British binoculars?  

Ww1 British binoculars?   Ww1 British binoculars?  

Ww1 British binoculars?  
    Regards,

Jerry

The two 'civilian' sets I have are both of French manufacture, the smaller of the two belonged to: 2396 Pte Sam Eastman of the 2nd Monmouthshire's. He was invalided out of the army in 1916. I have a third set which are private purchase... once the property of Captain P. A. M'Grath... that's how it is stamped on the binoculars. He served with 8th battalion Lancashire Fusiliers, and the binoculars were purchased from: W. G. Whiting, Optician... Royal Exchange, Manchester. I recently took them to the Fusiliers museum at Bury with a view to donating them, but they didn't seem that interested.

Cheers,
    Steve.

Steve,.
    The 2nd Mons. set sound great.

As regards donating to a museum, I would not do it, you never know where they will end up, with a slight chance they would be displayed, more later kept in storage if not lost, stolen or sold on.
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast