Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

WW1 British Canadian camo helmet

Article about: Hello what you guys think of this helmet camo? Have not seen this on a WW1 Tommy helmet before. Thanks

MAP
    ?

Don't clean it. If original.... you wipe away 100 years of history/patina. Just nice clear close up high resolution photos in in direct sunlight
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Ya, just wiping the dust off.

More pics. Just wiped off surface dust. Not sure myself, looks old but I see no cracking in the camo painted. Can't get any better closeups with my camera.
    Thanks

WW1 British Canadian camo helmetWW1 British Canadian camo helmetWW1 British Canadian camo helmetWW1 British Canadian camo helmetWW1 British Canadian camo helmetWW1 British Canadian camo helmetWW1 British Canadian camo helmet

The dividing black and white lines have not been done with a brush, but it seems something like a stick. That would fit with a theatre painted helmet, rather than some kid in the 1970's whipping it up in the garage.

The only Book on the subject of painted helmets. Well worth buying.
    Helmet above is a British helmet, easiest way to tell are the rivets holding the chin strap loops.

Another great Book on equipment and helmets.

Some 400,000 thousand British Mark 1 Helmets were issued to US Troops already in Europe.

MAP
    ?

Thanks for the photos. For me I'm not seeing any red flags. Yes, there isn't much wear and the edges of the chips are clean breaks but personally I'm guessing that this was a "post hostility camo paint and thus it saw little handling over the subsequent years.

Personally I would not have cleaned off the dust but it really does pop now.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I have to agree, post war but very old. Why no paint cracking, was that normal for paints they used over 80-100 yrs ago? I mean even WW2 German lids show paint age cracking.

Oh ya that dust had to go, just display surface dust. Plus I did a better effort to get pics. Depending on what device you looking at the colors are not that bright in real.

MAP
    ?

Kelly,

Here is an original M16 German camo. No paint cracking. I guess it has to do with the paint and environment (how it was stored). Others may know better.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast