Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 British MKI Helmet

Article about: Evening gents, I could do with some informed input on this one as WW1 is not my usual area. I picked this MKI up from my local junk shop for £80 as I thought it would look good with my Great

Default WW1 British MKI Helmet

Evening gents, I could do with some informed input on this one as WW1 is not my usual area. I picked this MKI up from my local junk shop for £80 as I thought it would look good with my Great Granddads WW1 medal pair. I think it is a late war example as it has a rim, I cannot see any makers marks on either the steel due to the thick paint, or the liner. Just how much of the liner is there or missing I do not know so your help would be appreciated in that respect! Also under the thick dark over paint there appears to be a unit insignia of some kind, looks like three red vertical lines?
    Anyway, your thoughts are greatly appreciated, thanks, Leon.

EDIT; I see after looking about that it should have a rubber ring in the crown!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 British MKI Helmet   WW1 British MKI Helmet  

WW1 British MKI Helmet   WW1 British MKI Helmet  

read up here - a nice 1917 era Mk I Mk.I - The Brodie Helmet and its derivatives

?

Nice lid you have done well to get it for £80 seen these sell for double that and some

the early MKI's with the first pattern liner do not have the donut.

either way, a great find for that price.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

NCA
    ?

Nice find and a bargain to boot!....wasn't Stalks per chance?

Now your second pic...looks like some kind of unit marking or lettering? There's nothing missing, all there. There should be a red stamp on the inside of the liner, Brodies patent.

Quote by NCA View Post
    Nice find and a bargain to boot!....wasn't Stalks per chance?

Now your second pic...looks like some kind of unit marking or lettering? There's nothing missing, all there. There should be a red stamp on the inside of the liner, Brodies patent.
    Hi, yes! I did get it from Tim!! It made a nice change to give him some money rather than me selling him something!! I had a look inside the liner as it is still nice and supple, but I could not see the stamp unfortunately. Thanks Jerry for that donut detail, good to know.
    Thanks for all your input fella's, WW2 lids I am ok with, but these WW1 examples I have never studied so it is good to know that it is complete. Leon.
    Last edited by FALLSCHIRMJAGER; 12-09-2017 at 10:17 PM.

Nice condition for a 100 year old helmet !! First one I ever took an inside look at

MAP
    ?

Nice pickup Leon. I'm slowly starting to warm to these Brodies. I have a few US flashed versions (but 3 are British made) and I am always looking for more!

Congrats!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Nice find. Good price too. Just like the old days.

Regards

Martin

I have to "call out" my bad eye sight once more, there is indeed the red WD stamp to the inside of the liner! I am going to blame the winter gloom for not seeing it as I had not started on the beer at that point. I am now making up for lost time however!! Leon