Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ww1 british, rare smoke/ gas hood,

Article about: hi guys can you shed some light on this would love your thoughts

Default ww1 smoke hood update

i would like to thank all that replied to this
    update is all that you had to go on was the photos they was all i had .
    bad points , the hood did look to be a copy , ?? as it looked like the hood had not been in the pouch and that it did look like
    it has been used as a display
    but when i bought this a a auction , there was just the same photos as i used to show you chaps
    phone call to day on payment of item i told them that the hood as not been in the pouch due to it being flat and no fold marks

big shock ...was told the hood came in to auction room in a ww1 chocolate tin the pouch was at the bottom .hood on the top folded not shown on listing in auction ..,and then i asked about the window ,how do they know that it is made of mica .. there military expert knows about the mica
    also that it stinks.. the smell is overpowering , they also have guaranteed that it is original
    so now have paid
    so all that now remains is that , when it arrives i will post all the photos you need to see. at some point i hope that it will be used as a reference should you come across the same item in the future ...
    plus i would still like to see you views. as it could be still wrong ??? as i will do my best to give you all the answers you ask big thanks to all ..

The smell could be explained, at least. Early gas hoods were impregnated with chemicals to combat the effects of war gases on the wearer, in lieu of a proper filter. If they were still present, I'd handle it with care. Not that it's likely to be harmful, but it's not necessarily something you want to get on your skin.

Also, this may be of interest to you. I believe this is what you have: Hypo helmet - Wikipedia

Ww1 british, rare smoke/ gas hood,

Regards, B.B.

?

Looks like you are spot on that one BB.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by firefox View Post
    i would like to thank all that replied to this
    update is all that you had to go on was the photos they was all i had .
    bad points , the hood did look to be a copy , ?? as it looked like the hood had not been in the pouch and that it did look like
    it has been used as a display
    but when i bought this a a auction , there was just the same photos as i used to show you chaps
    phone call to day on payment of item i told them that the hood as not been in the pouch due to it being flat and no fold marks

big shock ...was told the hood came in to auction room in a ww1 chocolate tin the pouch was at the bottom .hood on the top folded not shown on listing in auction ..,and then i asked about the window ,how do they know that it is made of mica .. there military expert knows about the mica
    also that it stinks.. the smell is overpowering , they also have guaranteed that it is original
    so now have paid
    so all that now remains is that , when it arrives i will post all the photos you need to see. at some point i hope that it will be used as a reference should you come across the same item in the future ...
    plus i would still like to see you views. as it could be still wrong ??? as i will do my best to give you all the answers you ask big thanks to all ..
    Well, that is good news. Sounds like you are covered in any event.

Hats off to you for going on the info you had, sometimes in this hobby a hunch is good enough.

It was a worthwhile discussion all the better for nobody just saying "that's a fake" with no real input as sometimes happens. Everyone gave considered opinion, nobody really knew and it looks like you have come out on top.

This is surely a forum in action

I look forward to your pictures.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Well, that is good news. Sounds like you are covered in any event.

Hats off to you for going on the info you had, sometimes in this hobby a hunch is good enough.

It was a worthwhile discussion all the better for nobody just saying "that's a fake" with no real input as sometimes happens. Everyone gave considered opinion, nobody really knew and it looks like you have come out on top.

This is surely a forum in action

I look forward to your pictures.

Regards

Mark
    thank you just shows that the 50/50 of the side of things , can and i hope turn out to be the right move , the big thing is that we all learn

I was present when this hood was found. It was folded into an old period chocolate box (don’t think of modern choccy boxes) and this was in a case. It was all covered in cobwebs and grime from an attic. We had no doubt about it. You could smell the chemicals in the fabric. We advised the owner to send it to auction as we had no idea of value. I think when you see it you will be reassured. I also noticed that the one on the IWM website has exactly the same carrying bag.
    Steve

Quote by OldBraggs View Post
    I was present when this hood was found. It was folded into an old period chocolate box (don’t think of modern choccy boxes) and this was in a case. It was all covered in cobwebs and grime from an attic. We had no doubt about it. You could smell the chemicals in the fabric. We advised the owner to send it to auction as we had no idea of value. I think when you see it you will be reassured. I also noticed that the one on the IWM website has exactly the same carrying bag.
    Steve
    can you tell me more on how this was found , i bought it , would love to know thanks andy

Quote by OldBraggs View Post
    Steve
    did you unfold it , ?? if so can i ask... there was something that was in between , the fold??? do you remember ..or did you just leave it as it was , thanks andy ,

Default Ww hood

Quote by firefox View Post
    did you unfold it , ?? if so can i ask... there was something that was in between , the fold??? do you remember ..or did you just leave it as it was , thanks andy ,
    . Well it has arrived and I must say it is original no doubt about it will post all photos so you can see

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast