MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 British relic helmet.

Article about: Hello all, recently picked up this relic shell painted a beautiful bright blue and thought I might be able to do something with it. As you can see nothing remains of the liner and chinstrap

Default WW1 British relic helmet.

Hello all,

recently picked up this relic shell painted a beautiful bright blue and thought I might be able to do something with it.

WW1 British relic helmet.WW1 British relic helmet.WW1 British relic helmet.

As you can see nothing remains of the liner and chinstrap except for a tuft of canvas and leather under the rivet and the rim has long gone but I thought it might have some potential. I had some experience of paint removal last year with a relic M16 and found a small section of original camouflage under the grey emulsion so I thought I'd give it a go and see if there was anything left under there.

WW1 British relic helmet.WW1 British relic helmet.WW1 British relic helmet.

After a bit of careful work in removing as much of the blue emulsion as I could I'm really pleased with the result. I'd say it retains about 50% textured paint which is in remarkable condition given its age but there is no stamp anywhere to be found. For a bit of fun I thought I'd take a picture of it with my relic stahlhelm.

WW1 British relic helmet.

Cheers,

Ian.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 British relic helmet.   WW1 British relic helmet.  

Looks great, Nice work!

Great job on removing the overpaint, it looks really good now.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.