Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Brodie?

Article about: I have in my possession this helmet pictured. I'm not entirely sure from what era it is, either WW1 or WW2. Stamped on the rim is: II.V 340 And under the liner is a faded red stamp. What typ

Default WW1 Brodie?

I have in my possession this helmet pictured.

I'm not entirely sure from what era it is, either WW1 or WW2. Stamped on the rim is:

II.V

And under the liner is a faded red stamp.

What type is it and what are they worth?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Brodie?   WW1 Brodie?  

WW1 Brodie?  

Default Re: WW1 Brodie?

Hi' yes indeed it is ww1,but 2nd pattern which is not as collectible. price can range from 100 to 200 stirling. hope this helps cheers paul

That is indeed a nice looking British issue brodie! I'm curious about the strange pad on the crown of the liner.....I must confess I've never seen one like that. Is it possible it was something done by the soldier to make it more comfortable? Or perhaps was it a private purchase item? All of the brodies I have seen and had in my collection have featured a hard rubber "ring" under the material at the crown. It was thought that this extra bit of "padding" would act as a shock absorber....it didn't......in fact it only made the helmet ride higher on ones head. In any event, you actually may have a rare variation of a brodie. It looks like the pad is original to the helmet. If I had to guess, I'd say this is a private purchse item....possibly for an officer? Either way, it's a nice brodie! Well done!

Hi, is it a mkI?, but has it got the wrong liner in it, as it has two sets of chinstrap attachments, one on the shell-as correct- and another set fixed to the liner. Looks messed with to me.

Jerry

Actually Jerry, I think this is correct. The chinstrap would attach to the smaller loops then run through the larger ones. It's an odd arangement to be sure, but that's how they were put together. Obviously this one is missing the leather chinstrap, so it looks odd.

Quote by Bravo 20 View Post
    Actually Jerry, I think this is correct. The chinstrap would attach to the smaller loops then run through the larger ones. It's an odd arangement to be sure, but that's how they were put together. Obviously this one is missing the leather chinstrap, so it looks odd.
    OK, I should have checked first. My example has no liner or strap, and the pics I've looked at do not make it that obvious and I had never noticed it. Thanks for the lesson and its polite delivery. Good to see manners still exist on some forums.

Also, if the owner has a closer look, he might find the stamp is a HV, meaning it was manufactured by W. Hutton & son, from steel manufactured by Vickers limited.

Jerry

Quote by vonbond View Post
    OK, I should have checked first. My example has no liner or strap, and the pics I've looked at do not make it that obvious and I had never noticed it. Thanks for the lesson and its polite delivery. Good to see manners still exist on some forums.

Also, if the owner has a closer look, he might find the stamp is a HV, meaning it was manufactured by W. Hutton & son, from steel manufactured by Vickers limited.

Jerry

On closer inspection it does appear that it may indeed be a stamped HV on the rim, not I I V as I originally said.

The rubber pad looks original to the helmet to me, as they are in a similar state to the liner itself, as well as being well attached to the liner.

That's very interesting! Does it look like that pad may have had a fabric covering of some sort? I just can't help but think the liner is something special here.......I'm still leaning towards private purchase, but perhaps it was something that was done on such a small scale, that's it's almost one of a kind? I've owned close to 10 brodies in the past when you could still get them cheap and I've seen a few varieties of liners, but none like this. Fascinating!

The pad seems to be textured rubber, and doesn't appear to be covered by fabric.

It is attached securely to the liner, and looks like it is a professional job. It basically looks like the donut in the normal Brodies has been replaced by something a bit more substantial!

I do hope it is a private purchase or in theatre addition; I've been trying to sell it, yet the few dealers I have approached have said the lining is wrong.

I just had another thought about this.......perhaps the helmet belonged to a British Great War veteran who was in the Home Guard or reserves for WW2 and decided to re-use his old helmet as a source of pride? That might explain the odd liner. It could be that the liner was fashioned during WW2 to wear while on duty with HG or Reserves.. This might explain why the liner looks to be professionally done....it probably was! I have read several accounts of the old timers showing up for drill with their old WW1 kit!

It doesn't surpise me that dealers would tell you that the liner is wrong...of course they would! The liner doesn't fit into the typical catagories. Plus they are not going to want to give you what the helmet may actually be worth so they will invent all sorts of flaws with it and hence they will try to devalue the piece. I used to do the militaria shows so I know all about unethical dealers.

In reality, I think you have a very unique piece and you should enjoy it for what it is, not what it isn't!

Cheers!