Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

WW1 Brodie Helmet

Article about: Hi, I'm completely new to this forum so please be gentle with me. I recently acquired a WW1 Brodie helmet in quite good condition. Engraved into the underside of the rim is 'ZC305' and on th

simond9x
    ?

Default Re: WW1 Brodie Helmet

Here's another of the camos and another plain one - both stamped G62.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Brodie Helmet   WW1 Brodie Helmet  

WW1 Brodie Helmet   WW1 Brodie Helmet  

That last green helmet you posted is A'OK. I don't like the camos however. The first one, seemed to have some pitting under the paint. If this is what it is it's a bad sign.

Over all the first camo looks good but I suggest you have an expert look at it. I don't like the second one at all. In my opinion, and I am sometimes wrong, it's not a good one. I suggest also having a very experienced collector look at it too.

Michael

john skipper
    ?

Ive just bought a ww1 brodie helmet,and i really need to know how i can clean off surface rust and protect it from anymore rust.Im new to this site,and i would be grateful of any help with this. john skipper

Quote by john skipper View Post
    Ive just bought a ww1 brodie helmet,and i really need to know how i can clean off surface rust and protect it from anymore rust.Im new to this site,and i would be grateful of any help with this. john skipper
    Post photos. Cleaning is almost always a bad idea.

wiggles
    ?

I think I saw a couple of these go on ebay. I may be wrong though. Did you buy the first camo, and the brodie recently?

A nice little collection by the way. I think the german helmets still have character, even if the camo turns out to be none period.

john skipper
    ?

the brodie helmet i had bought,came with a photograph of previous owner and wearer

?

In my opinion all the helmets shown appear to be right, pictures never do justice to the subject matter especially when dealing with helmets, its the hands on feel that tells the story unless of course its something blatantly obvious or wrong, i dont see anything blatantly out of place with these, a friend has a m17 with camo that the rusting effect has altered the paint work especially where pitting has occured, yet pitting can be minor whereby paint work appears in a photo to be unaffected, its only at close examination where you can guage whether paint has been applied over rust.

Quote by john skipper View Post
    DO NOT CLEAN your helmet! Leave well enough alone, that helmet will long out last you. I don't know how many times I have heard of good stuff being ruined by well intended collectors trying to clean or preserve items in thier collections. The liner is trashed and attic fried, too bad but leave it alone as well. Your helmet is American made and if the insignia is real (which it looks to me it is) then you picked up a rare lid. WWI American Tank Corps items are always sought after. As far as your German stahlhelms, they all look okay to me. My advice is read, read, read, read some more and handle as many "real" artifacts as you can. Keep at it and have fun!

?

Is the liner leather or a hard covering over canvas that is cracking

?

The three pad liner could do with a very light rubbing with lanoline to help rehydrate the leather,this should stop any further hardening of the leather,it may darken slightly but should return to near normal in a few days

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast