Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW1 brodie helmet

Article about: I picked up at a local antique market today what I think is a raw edge brodie helmet, will take some pics in the daylight in the morning, just after a bit of advice, the shell is in quite a

jwp
    ?

Default WW1 brodie helmet

I picked up at a local antique market today what I think is a raw edge brodie helmet, will take some pics in the daylight in the morning, just after a bit of advice, the shell is in quite a rusty condition, it has the loops for a chin strap and the remains of the strap (a sort of webbing) are riveted to the centre of the helmet, the liner seems to be made of a rubber like material with a sort of "string vest" type edge to it, also under the chin strap rivet it has a thick rubber ring !.
    would just like some advice as how to clean this up, ie: removing the rust from the outside and any tips on how best to preserve it,
    many thanks,
    John.

Sounds like you have a third pattern that is missing the rim ring, far more typical than a true first pattern war office rimless made of mild non manganese steel. The rim guards were thin steel spot welded together, quite fragile and come off all the time. The donut was introduced in lat 1917 vs. 1915 for the WO pattern, of which only 50,000 were made and were considered trench equipment originally. You can pick up intact rustless ones off ebay for very little, two hundred bucks or so. Versus wasting time messing with rust etc.

It is also probable that you have WW 2 helmet, WW I variants had leather chin straps, not webbing. Someone may had added it later after being surplused, the Mk I leather straps tended to come split at the dome rivet.

jwp
    ?

many thanks for your reply, could be ww2 then, only paid 5 british pounds so not too bad !!!

I look forward to seeing some pics John, sounds good to me whatever it is for a fiver. The Liner remains sound like the WWI version, though it is true that the metal rim trim comes off, so unlikely to be a rim less Brodie, but the pictures will tell all.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

jwp
    ?

thanks jerry, just given the interior a quick clean and the remains of the strap are indeed leather !, there was almost three inches of dust in the helmet, rather like the contents of a vacuum cleaner bag or cylinder !!!, will try some pics in the morning though the forecast is not promising, looks like we are to be hit by 50 mph winds and torrential rain !, anyway will give it a go,
    all the best,
    john.

jwp
    ?

have taken a few pics, apologies for the poor results, only a simple camera (and an even simpler photographer !). looking at the underside of the rim a faint line is just visible, could this be where a rim was attached ? its over to you as I know nothing about helmets, anyway an interesting pick up for little money !,
    regards, John.WW1 brodie helmetWW1 brodie helmetWW1 brodie helmetWW1 brodie helmetWW1 brodie helmetWW1 brodie helmetWW1 brodie helmetWW1 brodie helmetWW1 brodie helmet

Deal of the year for £5 squid very well done on a fantastic find & buy............Jake.

WWI MKI missing its rim trim and a steal for a fiver.
    Regards,

Jerry

jwp
    ?

many thanks both, does the rubber ring make this a 1917 version ?, also would I be better to just leave the helmet as it is or attempt to clean the rust ?, I do sort of like the relic look !.

Probably best to just do what is needed to stop it getting any worse, but otherwise leave it as it is, showing its age and a sign of its history.
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast