Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

ww1 Canadian MK1 Brodie Helmet Named

Article about: I recently picked up my first WW1 Canadian MK1 Brodie, named to Edward Charles Patey. He enlisted with the 169th battalion in Toronto, Canada, Feb. 17, 1916, served as a private with the 1st

?

Default ww1 Canadian MK1 Brodie Helmet Named

I recently picked up my first WW1 Canadian MK1 Brodie, named to Edward Charles Patey. He enlisted with the 169th battalion in Toronto, Canada, Feb. 17, 1916, served as a private with the 1st infantry brigade, 3rd battalion and was shell wounded in the right leg on August 23, 1917 and later sustained a gunshot wound on September 3, 1918. He survived the war and died many years later on Jan. 2, 1973 in Mississauga, Ontario.

The helmet is in decent shape although missing a chinstrap as most are but the liner is in really good shape. The painted name shows as white in the photos but is actually silver in colour when in hand. There is no doughnut ring as this helmet was issued in 1916 prior to the intro of the rubber donut insert.

Always looking to add more Cdn WW1 brodies. Hope you like this one. Cheers.

ww1 Canadian MK1  Brodie Helmet Namedww1 Canadian MK1  Brodie Helmet Namedww1 Canadian MK1  Brodie Helmet Namedww1 Canadian MK1  Brodie Helmet Namedww1 Canadian MK1  Brodie Helmet Namedww1 Canadian MK1  Brodie Helmet Named

WOW! Another very nice WWI CDN Mk.I with a identifiable history!!

Thank you for posting.

Regards,
    Taka

Great piece with alot of character. Congrats!

?

Nice Mk I Birkie good providence and history nice patina on the shell I have yet to add a Great War Era Canadian issued Mk I helmet to my collection.

Regards Mark K

I myself, too would like to own some WWI Commonwealth helmets.

I don't think I own much WWI CDN stuff, only two binos with leather cases, I think. And a movie prop helmet from Passchendaele.

Regards,
    Taka

A good pick up and a good example. Nice to see a named one.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Did Canada produce there own Helmets or is this a British made lid shipped overseas?...............

?

Hi Jake to the best of my knowledge Canada was first issued Mk I brodies in 1916 and all the helmets for the C.E.F.were drew from British stores.

Regards Mark K

?

Hi Mark, you're right, the CEF utilized British made helmets which has made collecting "Canadian" helmets much more difficult. Unless there are unit markings, painted insignia or personalized identification it's difficult to know the difference between British and Canadian. The helmet I'm showing is stamped FS228, Thomas fifth and sons. I think that this identifies the steel supplier though and not the actual manufacturer.

?

Hi Birkie I do tend to agree with you there it is very hard if not impossible to tell the difference between British and or C.E.F. Mk I helmets of course one must take in to consideration which side of the puddle the helmet was found on this however only offers up a clue to the helmets origins with unmarked Mk I's there is a bit of a leap of faith involved I find with these helmets unless there is direct providence or a history attached to it.

Regards Mark K