Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Captured M1917 helmet found in germany

Article about: Hello I said it in the last post from me and now the time has come My M1917 Doughboy Helmet has finally arrived He has no badge or painting In the back of the helmet a number or initals has

Default WW1 Captured M1917 helmet found in germany

Hello
    I said it in the last post from me and now the time has come
    My M1917 Doughboy Helmet has finally arrived
    He has no badge or painting
    In the back of the helmet a number or initals has been painted in
    In the area where the liner and strap is attached to the shell are once initials and once a name to see
    The code ZB5 L was punched into the shell
    The seller told me after I bought it ,that the helmet had been family-owned for several generations and was then captured in 1918 in the battle of St.Mihiel by a German soldier
    I am not shure about this story but this helmet comes to germany and then I would say this is true
    The only that is a little bit sorry about this helmet is, that the liner is never fixed anymore on the shell
    (This helmets were in Germany never to find but i am found one)
    I not oiled the helmet

Is it a good one?
    What means ZB5 L?

I hope you all enjoy this wonderful example from WW1 history

Best regards
    Bavarian
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Captured M1917 helmet found in germany   WW1 Captured M1917 helmet found in germany  

WW1 Captured M1917 helmet found in germany   WW1 Captured M1917 helmet found in germany  

WW1 Captured M1917 helmet found in germany   WW1 Captured M1917 helmet found in germany  

Last edited by Bavarian; 08-20-2019 at 03:01 PM.

A nice example! There should be an ink stamp on the inside of the oilcloth part of the liner. If you fold it back carefully, you should be able to read it. 'ZB' is one of the known shell stamps for American-made helmets. I believe the exact manufacturer is unknown, but it is a recognised stamp. The number next to it will be the steel batch number.

The story is just that; a story. It could be true, but there will never be a way to prove it definitively. Also, do be aware that the felt pad in the crown contains asbestos. It is a small amount, and shouldn't be a problem as long as the helmet isn't bashed about. But it's worth bearing in mind.

Regards, B.B.

MAP
    ?

Solid. Nice find
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hello
    Thanks for the Comments
    These ones continue asbestos too
    I think poor british made helmets made with asbestos and US ones not
    But you will be the expert
    For Info the liner is in very good condition bit there is nothing visible inside anymore
    Best regards
    Bavarian

Hello Bavarian,

Well done! A very nice example in good used condition.

As B.B says you can never verify the story after all these years and without a direct link to the original soldier but nevertheless you have a very nice piece of history. Buck is an American boys name meaning male deer. There were some notable American soldiers in The Great War including James Ernest “Buck” Karnes who received the Medal of honor. There may be some scope for further research but be aware that “Buck” could also be used as a nick name so may not be on official records.

Not sure if the Doughboy lids have asbesto but I believe the British did so make sure not to play with the pad inside the dome as this is where the asbestos would be located.

Andrew
    Last edited by AndyM35; 08-21-2019 at 03:11 AM. Reason: spelling error.

A nice find.

All looks good and original commensurate with age. Nice addition.

Hallo
    Thank you for the replies
    I waited long for a good, for me affordable example of a M1917 for my WW1 collection and I found this example for only 120€ include delivery
    It is not cheap ,but not expensive and there will be extreme rare to find(German Helmet shells M16 to M42 and M1 helmets are easy to find but all others will be hard to find)
    Best regards
    Bavarian

Hello
    I have one last question on this helmet
    Contain the US m1917 helmets asbestos like the brodie or not?
    I hope this question will be answered
    Best regards

Quote by Bavarian View Post
    Hello
    I have one last question on this helmet
    Contain the US m1917 helmets asbestos like the brodie or not?
    I hope this question will be answered
    Best regards
    Yes. It's an oblong white fiber sheet underneath the felt pad. Since the felt pad in yours is in good shape, the asbestos will never be an issue as long as you don't go digging around underneath it.