Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Carl Zeiss British binocular help

Article about: I recently picked these up at a local auction, not really knowing what ive done! I noticed the broad arrow marks and thought they may be worth a punt, anyway... They are marked with Carl Zei

Default WW1 Carl Zeiss British binocular help

I recently picked these up at a local auction, not really knowing what ive done!
    I noticed the broad arrow marks and thought they may be worth a punt, anyway...

They are marked with Carl Zeiss Jena on one side and something like "MG3579" or "M63579" (really hard to make out) with 12x40 under it.

I know that the Carl Zeiss london branch made Binos for the british military until sometime in 1917.

Does anyone know what the numbers mean as i cant seem to find any reference online.
    any info or pointers greatly appreciated.

kind regards
    Ed

WW1 Carl Zeiss British binocular helpWW1 Carl Zeiss British binocular helpWW1 Carl Zeiss British binocular helpWW1 Carl Zeiss British binocular helpWW1 Carl Zeiss British binocular help
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Carl Zeiss British binocular help  

While I'm certainly not an expert on military binoculars, I did pick up a pair of WW1 Ziess Marineglas recently and looked into them a little. I read that on military models the tightening screw on the end is quite large, so I believe your pair are a civilian model. How they ended up in British service could either have been due to a loan to the government from a member of the public or these could be one of the pairs that were purchased from Germany (through shifty trade deals via Switzerland) on account of the superior optics and the fact that there was a lack of high quality binoculars available to the British army.

I am open to correction on these points, however that is how I would interpret it. Cheers.