Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 French Bayonet?

Article about: I got this at a show for REALLY cheap. The seller told me it was a WW1 French Bayonet, converted to a trench knife. Trench art? Thoughts? Thanks!

Default WW1 French Bayonet?

I got this at a show for REALLY cheap. The seller told me it was a WW1 French Bayonet, converted to a trench knife. Trench art? Thoughts?

Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 French Bayonet?   WW1 French Bayonet?  

WW1 French Bayonet?  

Default Re: WW1 French Bayonet?

I would agree trench conversion Via custom or field done hard to tell but it is French Im sure. And the bottom of the bayo had a lower curve to it and has been removed. still nice item for WW1.

ERIC

Quote by ez1969 View Post
    I would agree trench conversion Via custom or field done hard to tell but it is French Im sure. And the bottom of the bayo had a lower curve to it and has been removed. still nice item for WW1.

ERIC
    Thanks. Eric! The best part is that it only cost me $15.00! There are still some good sellers out there!

Hello-the bayo is not really a WW1 type-many armies used stocks of obsolete bayos (for old rifles) to convert to trench knives-for the French, the M1866 'Chassepot' rifle bayo (what your example is converted from) was a common example of this-trouble is that it could be done at a much later date to turn an old worn bayo into a more valuable 'WW1 trench knife'-at the price you paid however it doesn't really matter whether it's the proper period or not.

Thanks for your response! Either way, I take it that it's an old bayonet and that's what matters. Taking a chance at such a cheap price seems to have payed off.

You did very well congrats