Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 French buckle of some sort

Article about: I am no collector of WW1 items and certainly surprised myself when I picked up a pair of WW1 helmets recently. With the M15 Adrian the seller included some odd bits and bobs and one of these

Default WW1 French buckle of some sort

I am no collector of WW1 items and certainly surprised myself when I picked up a pair of WW1 helmets recently. With the M15 Adrian the seller included some odd bits and bobs and one of these extra items is what I assume is a French buckle. The buckle is unmarked except for a partial makers stamp on the rear. I can make out '....D ENTREPRISES' and thats about it.

Can anyone assist with any further information? I assume it's a military buckle? It was found in the region of Château-salins about 100km from Verdun. I think it is of brass construction but I don't want to polish it to find out, I like the mud remains and patina/rust/paint.

I also can't tell if the buckle was ever painted or if the greenish remains are simply patina on the brass. Did the French paint their buckles at all?

Thanks in advance for any light that can be shone on this subject for me.

Hi. Its the buckle off a French Model 1845 belt, these were used through until ww1. Take a look at this site: 151st Line Infantry Regiment

Great information, thank you! So this item could have been produced anytime from 1845 onwards...fantastic!

Now I just need a buckle collector to shed light on the markings and i'll be a happy man!