Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 gas helmet. But which one?

Article about: Yes its world war one because my great grandfather had it stuffed in his trunk with his uniforms and other stuff he brought back. But its unlike any CEM I have researched. I can see its also

?

Default WW1 gas helmet. But which one?

Yes its world war one because my great grandfather had it stuffed in his trunk with his uniforms and other stuff he brought back. But its unlike any CEM I have researched. I can see its also probably early period too. The metal mouthpiece with the strange partitioned metal tongue is beyond what i can understand. Maybe french? is there anyone with expertise about this?
    I have attached pics
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 gas helmet. But which one?   WW1 gas helmet. But which one?  

I have never seen anything like it but it has the typically WW1 features of mouthpiece and noseclip. I would guess it's either from some sort of special purpose respirator, perhaps for a particular kind of confined space, or an experimental type.

?

Yes thats a really good point. Any ideas about the split metal tongue in the mouthpiece or the wooden piece attached?
    I have tried to get my head around this for months but cant seem to find anything. Putting that mouthpiece in the mouth must have been unpleasant, although i can see it was painted to protect from the metal. There must have been a special reason for why he kept this!!!
    My suspicions are also early period german coz the lack of rubber in the mouthpiece makes me think german, but that only a wild guess.

?

My feelings are to narrow down the options. I may be wrong but the outlet is not screwed, more like a fitting for a hose?

?

Ok had a breakthrough, its very very early german. 1915. narrowing it down....

?

Ok its a type of dressler gas mask for pilots and drivers. That seems to be it, also not necessarily early, maybe. it doesnt come with a mask, goggles are expected to be worn. Huge learning curve here and i suspect a very rare piece of german gas mask!