MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

A WW1 Life Saving Tunic Button!!

Article about: We have often seen items such as bibles, tobacco tins, pocket watches and other such personal items that have taken either bullets or shrapnel and saved a soldier from either serious injury

Default A WW1 Life Saving Tunic Button!!

We have often seen items such as bibles, tobacco tins, pocket watches and other such personal items that have taken either bullets or shrapnel and saved a soldier from either serious injury or death. Now this item i have here is something ive had in my possession for a great many years and was given to me by elderly neighbour when i was at Middle School (many moons ago now!). Its full story was sadly lost in the mists of time but i recall him saying it belonged to his fathers sister who was sent it as a token of affection by a serving soldier during WW1. That was all i recalll him saying about it other than they had planned to marry but after WW1 they went their separate ways. The brass tunic button is of the Queens Own Cameron Highlanders and there is a very distinct puncture in it made by something very unfriendly, either a bullet or small slither of shrapnel. Did this tunic button save his life? Did it mean a trip back home to blighty as a wounded soldier? If only it could talk as they say! I did read up on the QOCH in WW1 and it seems in every battle they were involved in they were put under intense fire by the defending Germans, such was the fear this fine Scottish unit put into them. The Germans often reffered to the Scots as "those ladies from hell"! Such was their skill with the bayonet and their natural aggression. This is one of those fascinating little items i thought i would share with the members of the forum and i really wish this could talk! Regards, Tim.

Default Re: A WW1 Life Saving Tunic Button!!

If this tunic button was struck by a bullet, it is doubtful that it would have 'saved a life'.
    The button was only marginally creased as the bullet carried on through,
    but it is possible that whoever was hit might recover........

Nice find............!
    Regards,

Steve.

Default Re: A WW1 Life Saving Tunic Button!!

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    If this tunic button was struck by a bullet, it is doubtful that it would have 'saved a life'.
    The button was only marginally creased as the bullet carried on through,
    but it is possible that whoever was hit might recover........

Nice find............!
    The chap who sent it to the lady did survive but no idea as to what if any injury he sustained. If it was a bullet strike and the round had been at the terminal end of its trajectory it would have sufficient energy to cause such damage but maybe not enough to actually kill, same applies with a small shell splinter. Its really hard to tell but my wifes sister is with the Police firearms unit and when she examined it she agreed that whatever it was that struck the button may have penetrated and fell to the ground or been deflected. At some point she is going to let the ballistics have a look at it as they can determine the force exerted to create the damage and examine the texture of the hole under a special microscope which should be really interesting. regards, Tim.